Skip to main content

Fun at the fair

This weekend, I took the boys to the fair. Don't you love taking your kids to the fair in the summer? Despite all the questionable and scary looking people that roam the grounds? Especially the scary looking ride operators! But don't worry - I was prepared - I carried about 5 cases of Purell with me and my boys took a 5 hour shower as soon as we got home. But while we were at the fair, we did have a lot of fun. And they did eat a lot of junk food. I'm not kidding - they ate everything you can imagine!

First up - winning a totally useless prize for my boys! All I had to do was pay 5 dollars, pop a few balloons, and my boys got to walk away with these little turtles. Which, by the way, are either somewhere in the trunk of my car now, or in the garbage. Their excitement over these turtles lasted about 14 seconds.



Time for the rides! No fair experience is complete without a ride on the Merry-Go-Round, right? Here is my big boy having fun. He got on and off all by himself this year.



Dimitry got on, as well. He loved sitting on the horse, but as soon as it started moving, he cried - but only for a second. Then he loved it, too. It was so cute.



Okay, I did mention my boys ate a lot of junk food, right? I couldn't say no to their requests! So, of course I bought them both a lollipop, and some popcorn for Christos. Of course, Dimitry wanted some popcorn too, as you can see from the picture. Life just got a whole lot more expensive because we now have to buy 2 of everything!



Then Dimitry wanted some of Christos's cotton candy. (I told you a lot of junk food was consumed!) Being the nice brother that he is, he eventually agreed to give him some. "Some" being about the size of a grape.

Here is Dimitry enjoying the cotton candy.



Moving on... to french fries and pogo sticks. (For my American friends - pogo sticks are basically corn dogs.) Please believe me when I say my children do not eat like this on a regular basis. Remember, we're Greek? They eat a very healthy Mediterranean diet. For the most part! They don't drink the wine. Ha, ha...



And back to the lollipops. Believe it or not, even after all this sugar and junk, both boys fell asleep in the car on the way home.



It was a great afternoon. But I felt so much better after they (and I!) had showered.

Comments

Cynthia said…
The fair is so fun...but you're right, there are some SCARY folks there:O

I want to try a fried Snicker bar...I hear they are yummy:P
Managed Chaos said…
Oh, I hope they didn't get a tummy ache after eating all that fun fair food...although it all looked yummy ;o)
Chantal said…
We always go to the Carp fair. I didn't realize it was Gloucester fair time (I am out of it these days. For good reason, I will finally post tomorrow). I could have enjoyed a fair this weekend. Especially the junk food! :)
Shannon said…
What double stroller do you have? Do you like it? Does it turn easily? With one hand while drinking coffee? :)

I'm going to need a double in the fall and can not decide what I want but I do know it must turn easily.

Thanks!
Shannon
Shannon (AnchorMommy) said…
The fair -- a childhood necessity! Kids can't really become full-fledged adults without a few rides, cotton candy and popcorn! ;-)

Looks like they had a great time. Good for you for letting them indulge a little!
I love fairs! I especially love the junk food-I was anxiously reading and couldn't wait till I got to the part about the junk food you guys ate. Don't ya just love having kids--gives you an excuse to eat bad!!
They look like they had so much fun--great memory!!
Stephanie said…
Looks like the perfect amount of junk food to me!
Jessica said…
How fun! It sounds more like a Fair of Junk Food!
Betsy Mae said…
I HATE the fair! Does that make me a bad mother? When the fair comes to town (and it does every single year for TWO WHOLE WEEKS???? whats up with that eh??) I am sure to take the extra long routes everywhere we need to go so I can avoid driving past it....that way my girls have no idea what they are missing!
tiarastantrums said…
fun times - my kids LOVE and ADORE going to fairs!! none by us yet!
Oh girl...we LOOOOOVE the fair too!!! It looks like you had a lot of fun!

Jamie
We went to the rodeo last week, and it was JUST like this! I didn't think that I would ever get Reagan off of the carousel! And I didn't think it was humanly possible for such a tiny person to consume such enormous quantities of JUNK!
Mommy In Pink said…
your boys are so incredibly cute! Fairs are always so fun and dirty, I'd be carrying the Purell too! lol
CaraBee said…
Ah the fair, so many good memories. I look forward to taking my daughter to the fair. Weirdos, overpriced food, and unidentified bad smells and all.
Anti-Supermom said…
Your children are adorable and you are totally speaking to me when you say 'now you have to buy two of everything...'

This post make me excited for the fair - sans the carny-style workers :)
Lady Mama said…
Your boys are so cute. And junk food at the fair is mandatory anyway!
Loukia said…
Ms. Porter! Hahaha! As if you do that... too funny!
MamaJoss said…
I LOVE that you got so many photos -- what good boys you have - lucky Mommy! Glad to see you had a great time :)
Shana said…
Looks like a fun time!!!!