Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Back to school shopping!

One of the things I enjoyed most about going back to school every September was the back to school shopping. I loved shopping for new clothes and especially 'supplies' like new backpacks, pens, and notebooks. I totally miss that aspect about being in school. And of course, having zero responsibility! I'm getting excited because I can now enjoy 'back to school' shopping with Christos, who is starting (sob,sob) kindergarten in September!

And what better place to look for those must-have back to school items than the store that got me pregnant in the first place, Pottery Barn Kids? No, I didn't actually get pregnant in Pottery Barn Kids, but I was shopping there with my friend and I was head over heels in love with all the baby stuff. 2 days later, I took a pregnancy test and it was positive. I totally think the air in Pottery Barn Kids helped get me pregnant. Now, I stock up whenever I'm in Toronto, which is not that often - or anywhere in the USA. I swear, the day Ottawa gets a PBK I will scream so loud you'll hear me, no matter how far away you live! I heard they're not coming to the nation's capital because they don't want to have to translate everything in French. Which really just sucks. So unfair.

Anyway... back to the topic at hand - back to school shopping for Christos! I am totally going to buy him this lunch bag and backback. Isn't it the cutest? I love it!



And of course, he'll need a new desk, right? Don't 4 year olds in kindergarten do homework? He totally needs a desk! (For the record, Christos is already doing 'homework' - he loves sitting at his little Ikea desk, drawing, practicing letters, and stamping. He's so ready for school!)



He had a huge room - hardwood floors, white crown moulding, baseboards, and chair rail. His walls are painted light green and light blue. BUT his furinture (queen size bed, dresser, night table, bookcase) is brown, like this:



What colour desk should I get him? The red? Or the white? The white will match the mouldings, but the red will match some of the artwork on his walls, and the red in his comforter, which has construction vehicles on it. Which one would you get? Also, what other 'must-have' school items should I get him?

So, see, the more I think about it, the more I am beginning to enjoy the idea of Christos going to school. Any reason for me to shop, and I'm one happy mommy!

22 comments:

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

LOL You are too funny! I personally would go with the red--I love primary colors in a boy's room for some reason :)
We have the PB desks too--but ours are a bit bigger.
Love them :)

Happy shopping!

Scary Mommy said...

Ben had that lunch & backpack--- I forgot how clean it used to look!!! And I vote red too . So cute!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Well, I'd warn you about what I did last year, but since you love to shop too! :)
Last year? i spent $$ buying Elijah all the cutest little school clothes. By October? Hit a growth spurt and outgrew most of them! I think he wore them maybe 2 times!

Lady Mama said...

I wish there was a Pottery Barn Kids in Calgary... although maybe it's a good thing there isn't, knowing me. I agree the shopping helps ease the blow of the whole starting school thing. About the desks - I love the red. The white is perhaps a little more elegant but the red is so cool.

Jessica said...

I'd get the red one, too. Why not?

And I LOVE those little bags! Holy crap they're cute! Are you going to get him little lunch box things to go in it, too?? Where do you find those things, anyway??

Elisa said...

I know, back to school shopping was my favorite too!! I love stationery shops, so it was really fun to pick the pens, notebooks, and of course the school agenda ;-)

I LOVE PB Kids, teens, or normal, I LOVE Pottery Barn. I could easily pull a Rachel and turn a whole room of my house into one of the pages from the catalog, if my husband let me ;-)

Elisa said...

oh, and my vote is on the red, too :-)

Chantal said...

Too funny, see the back to school shopping stresses me out! I have never been to a PBK. I must really be missing out.

MamaNeena said...

Back to school shopping may just be my favorite, too. Sometimes I buy supplies just for the thrill - the office supply store is enough to get me all hot and bothered.

Nap Warden said...

Cute little bags...gotta get a cute one for Miss Peach!

Jen said...

Definitely the red desk!

mistress pink said...

white because you can always paint it if you need to.

2 Little Irish Boys said...

I love the lunch and backpack set! I am nuts about Pottery Barn kids too. Cash still wears the 24-36 month clothes-yipee!!

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

My vote is definitely for the Red Desk!!!

CaraBee said...

I would go with the red. It's a more boyish color than white and won't show messes like the white will.

I love Pottery Barn Kids. I could go crazy in there if I had my way and an unlimited checkbook!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

I agree with CaraBee! Get red! It won't show the crayon/marker/pencil slips like white will. (I painted my makeup vanity white a few years ago, and totally regret it. It shows all kinds of mess. And I don't even do homework or art there.)

archana.webcasper said...

i vote red desk,
but you can cut your shopping bill by using printable coupons at www.clickmycoupon.com.

Erin @ Closing Time said...

I vote for the red desk too. SO cute!!

Catwoman said...

That red desk is too cute for words! Now I WANT it! Damn you woman, you're a bad, bad influence!!!! You CANNOT take me shopping when I come up in October, you hear me? Or else I won't be allowed back to Dallas.

And love the bags too. I get the PBK catalogue and it's always drenched with drool by the time I'm done with it, because I want one of practically everything.

twinmomplusone said...

my vote: red desk!

Very cute bags btw!

And yes, you'll need clothes and shoes and boots and snowsuits and rainboots and rain gear and...don't worry, lots of shopping coming your way!

But just my take on school clothes: I'd stay clear of having him wear the real expensive stuff to school, they get ruined so easily with playing and paint and eating

Loukia said...

twinmom - So no crisp, new Burberry button down for the first day of school for my boy? Because I was totally planning on having him wear that. Maybe for a photo op. Then I'll change him into something else! ;)

Holy smokes, I guess I have to get the red table, then - the majority of you have said red!

twinmomplusone said...

oh, and you'll also need nametags, for everything, I get mine at Stuck On You online

Blog Designed by: NW Designs