Monday, June 22, 2009

A few of our favourite books... at least, for right now!

A few months ago, I wanted to write a post about my favourite books, and about my love of reading, but instead, I wrote about the books my boys, especially Christos, loved reading the most, here.

I find it nearly impossible to talk about the books I love, or am currently reading, without talking a bit about what Christos's favourite books are. So, you see - this post will be about the books I loved reading and what I'm reading right now, but I have to share with you a few of Christos's favourite books of the moment.

Almost is a great book, about a boy who is 'almost' 6 and he can 'almost' do anything, like make his own breakfast, and he's 'almost' not scared of anything. Christos loves it when I read him this book!



These little Ready to Read books are also on his 'must-read' every night list: Earthquake, Flood and Volcano. They've got great illustrations, and they explain things in a simple, interesting way for a young child. Even I learned a thing or two. I tell you, it's great that my son is starting school in the fall, because I just know I'll be learning so much from him!

Today, he said to me: "Mommy, I know what do in case there is an earthquake. I go under a table, or under a doorway, or get outside." I love books that teach him important things like safety in emergency situations.



And I recently bought A Tree is Nice, because, well, the book 'looked' nice and it's also a cute story. I do recommend this book for little boys and girls. It's beautifully illustrated, too!



I have to say, though, that Christos's favourite book right now is Amelia Bedelia. I bought this for him hoping he'd 'get it' and boy, does he ever! The other night, as I was reading to him, he was in hysterics laughing at the story. He kept saying: "If that was me, I would know what to do!" So, so true. Amelia Bedelia is a classic, I think, and I'm so glad he loves it so much! The picture of the 'dressed chicken' is what he laughed at the most.

And finally, Down By the Station is just a great read, overall. He really enjoyed this book when I read it to him last night, and I have a feeling it might become a favourite!



As for Dimitry, he still loves the Karen Katz books, and today I bought him Where Is Baby's Beach Ball? He loves lifting the flaps, and I'm glad he's enjoying reading more now.

So, moving onto some adult literature - here are some of the books that I totally loved reading. I loved reading these books so much I would stay up well into the night because I just could not put them down, but at the same time, I wanted to slow down because I would start to panic that once I finished the book I'd never find another one I would love as much. Do you ever get that way? Or is it just me? So. Without writing a book review, my favourite books include: The Way The Crow Flies, Fall On Your Knees, Night, A Prayer for Owen Meany, The Glass Castle, The Stand, Confessions of a Shopaholic, Stephen King's On Writing and Angela's Ashes. There are dozens more I love, but these are the ones that just pop into my head. Have you read any of these? If not - these are my suggestions to you. I'm currently reading The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society and, just because I have not read anything by Stephen King in years, Just After Sunset.

I want to know what you're reading right now! Any suggestions you have for my next 'must-read' book? Any recommendations for a children's book that I don't already own for my boys? What book is your all-time favourite? I'd love to hear all about it!

26 comments:

Lynn said...

My current favourite book of "all time" is The History Of Love by Nicole Krauss. I've been recommending it to all my gal pals :).

I haven't read most of the ones on your list, except for Owen Meany (which is so great). I'll have to check them out!

Julie said...

I'm in the midst of reading all of the Harry Potters again. Love love love those. Best adult: Fall On Your Knees (which I see you have already listed), Fugitive Pieces, Famous Last Words (best Tim Findley book out there), a great book on philoosophy is Sophie's Choice. It's a great read, but only in short spurts. You need another lighter read at the same time. Any of the Kathy Reichs books are great summer reading.

Max ia all over Dora right now, much to my annoyance.

Linda @ My Trendy Tykes said...

I will have to check out some of these books.

Heather said...

We are going to have to try Almost. I am constantly reminding my Sassy to enjoy 3, because she reminds me daily that she is almsot 4 and then she'll be big like Alex (her friend). Did I mention she just turned 3 in May??

Have you read any Jodi Picoult books? I really like her, although I didn't care for her newest one as much. I just finished reading An Ordinary Man, the book which Hotel Rwanda was based off of, and it was really great.

Connie Weiss said...

Thanks for the recommendations!

We love going to the bookstore and my daughter would read all day long if she had the chance.

I was planning to do a summer reading list of my own but haven't gotten around to it.

rheanne said...

I am such a lover of books as well. I'm thrilled to have some suggestions that you have. I think we like the same books because I have read many of your choices (though there are a couple that I am going to rush out and get). Are you enjoying the Potato Peel book? I have heard of others that have read it but haven't heard many reviews. It may be a summer read for me.
For my part, I loved "The Book of Negroes", thought The Flying Troutmans" was very quirky and was completely entranced by "The Kite Runner". My sons are book kids, too. My 6-year old loves any non-fiction, especially about animals. I've also found some beautiful poetry books on the animal theme for him. Right now we are all about Magic Tree House and Magic School Bus novels. Oh, and he kills himself laughing at the "Chester" books. My littlest son (age 2) has his few favourite books, too. Hippo Goes Bananas, Silly Sally, and Over in the Grasslands are a few. Thanks for the posting about books...a favourite topic, for sure.

Chantal said...

I am reading, "The Other Boleyn Girl" at the moment. I hear it is amazing but I am finding it hard to get into. I think the problem is that I am so tired at night I can only get through a few pages at a time. The real action should start soon.

A few months ago I read "The Book Thief" by Marcus Zusac and it is AMAZING. You have to read it. I ordered another one of his "I am the Messenger" from Amazon last week. I hear it is amazing as well.

mistress pink said...

rises the night - its a vampire book.

ModernMom said...

Great post. I'm also one of those readers that will stay up all night b/c I just can't put it down!
I have to second rheannes recommendation for The Ktye Runner that The Book of Negros.

Loukia said...

Lynn, I read The History of Love and I did like it a lot!

Julie, Fall On Your Knees was GREAT! I don't think I can handle reading Sophie's Choice... I know the story, and it's just too emotional for me...

Heather, I have read 3 Jodi Picoult books - always a good read when you're looking for something to read.

Rheanne - Thanks for suggesting The Book of Negroes - I have heard it is great, so that will probably be something I will read this summer. I'll have to check out the 'Chester' books, too, for Christos!

Chantal - I loved reading The Other Bolyen Girl - way more then the movie! You'll get into it, don't worry! Thanks for your suggestion, too!

Modern Mom - I can't believe I forgot to mention The Kite Runner - I totally loved that book, AND A Thousand Splendid Suns, too.

Paola said...

As mom to "old" kids (i.e. tweens/teens), I highly recommend the Airborn trilogy by Kenneth Oppel. These books were positively devoured by both boys and girls and I enjoyed them myself! We're currently re-reading the last few volumes of Harry Potter as we're gearing up for the next movie to come out shortly.

As for me, I'm a fan of historical fiction and only just heard about "Book of Negroes" which I look forward to reading. Also very much enjoyed "The Red Tent" and "The Other Boleyn Girl." I'm always looking for good titles for my "old kids" so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm happy to learn about them!

Maria @BoredMommy said...

We have a similar love of books, and similar favs too! LOVE Ann-Marie MacDonald - Fall on Your Knees is my favorite of hers. I also love Jose Saramago and all his stuff. I read BLINDNESS when it first came out in Hardcover and the writing is superb. Kids stuff is also big in our house - anything funny is a hit. I think the entire Scaredy Squirrel series is incredibly creative and laugh-out funny!!

twinmomplusone said...

Just finished reading Meg Cabot's Airhead and Being Nikky, ya, I know, teenage books but nice easy fun reads. had just finished teh Twilight series just before that. Just started Patato book too!

All time faves: Kite Runner and Thousand Splendid Suns, DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons, The Glass Castle, The Red Tent, All the Shopaholics, any Kathy Reichs or John Grisham books, Memoirs of a Geisha, Middlesex, The Birth House, A memory Keeper's Daughter, all the Boleyn Girl series, and I'm sure tehre's more I can't remember.

Happy reading!

2 Little Irish Boys said...

I used to be a reading nut! Stay up till 1am, now I am blogging till 1am-LOL!!
I am getting back into reading now so your recs help a lot!
Cash loves "Where the Wild things are" and Babar books. Some other good ones that Cillian likes is "Goodnight Gorilla" and the Katz books too!!

Loukia said...

Can you all believe we don't own Where The Wild Things Are? Must get that book!

But... scared it will scare my son....

twinmom, I wanted to read The Birth House when I was pregnant, but friend suggested I wait until after the baby was born, but I still haven't read it... so you recommend? And I have not read Middlesex, even though it comes recommended.

Maria, we should do a book swap next time I'm in your city! I should be coming in July! :)

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions!

MamaNeena said...

I am certainly passing along this list to my mother in law - she is always buying books for the kids!!

the Preppy Princess said...

Oh Miss Loulou, what a fabulous post! Gosh, if only I could remember some of those early childhood books, almost anything I come up with is 'girly-girly', like Heidi. :(

And I just finished another escapist Lisa Scottoline (sp?) and before that the last John Gregory Dunne wrote. I love those Dunne boys.

Hugs!
tp

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

I'm always looking for good childrens' book recommendations. Thanks Loukia! (We don't have Where the Wild Things Are either! Ack!)

I just finished Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It really helped get me excited to plant and tend to our new garden. It also got me thinking about the food production/delivery system as it currently exists, and what a bizarre thing it is that we can eat bananas in the middle of winter, for example.

Now I've got to finish My Sister's Keeper -- belongs to a friend and former co-worker. I've had it for months!

Jen said...

I'm reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society too. Well, I actually just started so I'm still trying to get into it.

From your list, I read The Glass Castle and was totally captivated by it the entire time. What an amazing story.

Some of my favorite books to date are:

The Lovely Bones
Memoirs of a Geisha
Twilight Saga
Water For Elephants
Eat, Pray, Love

Julie said...

Oh, the Birth House is excellent. And I forgot to include 100 Yars of Solitude. One of my all time favs.

Oops, I meant Sophie's World. It's a book on philosphies through out time and around the world.

Loukia said...

Julie, oh, okay!
I have to read 100 Years of Solitude... can't believe I haven't yet!

Jen - I loved The Lovely Bones, as sad as it was to read. And Water for Elephants is another book I have to get my hands on!

Christy said...

I'll have to look up my children's book titles...but I my all time favorite book is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. You will LOVE it. I saw the books you have listed in your profile and I see we enjoy the same titles!

I see Lynn's comment too - I loved that Krauss novel, and I also love all the John Irving novels. Owen Meany is maybe my second favorite of all time.

MamaJoss said...

Great reviews! I'm always on the lookout for books to collect when my little ones are old enough - you have some great suggestions here - Thanks Lou!

Burgh Baby said...

Knuffle Bunny is still our household fave, although I think I need to by Almost. It looks worthy of the book nerd in the house.

CaraBee said...

The Guernsay Literary Society is on my bedside table, I'll be starting it tonight. I have heard so many good things about it. A few of my recommendations: Water for Elephants, Life As We Knew It, The Book Thief and The Graveyard Book.

Michele said...

My kids also loved Knuffle Bunny and all the Pigeon books by Mo Willems as well.
I too loved The History of Love and this is the first comments I have seen others talk about it. Cool! I like the Snowflower book by Lisa See. For more modern I love Emily Giffin's writing: Something Borrowed and Something Blue (2 books) and there are two more after that which are different characters.

Blog Designed by: NW Designs