Thursday, June 11, 2009

My weekly 'random' post

What were your favourite movies growing up? I have so many 'favourite' movies that I used to love watching - Annie, Troop Beverly Hills, Adventure in Babysitting. One of my most favourites was Can't Buy Me Love... I just loved that movie! I knew Patrick Dempsey way before Grey's! Of course, who could be a child of the 80's without naming Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club and Say Anything 'must-watch movies'? (that scene with John Cusack is still the best!) I also loved Beaches. Which was the most depressing movie I had ever seen and I still get sad when I hear the song Under the Boardwalk or Wind Beneath My Wings. Sob. Sob. Sob. I also loved Big with Tom Hanks. And Dead Poet's Society. And Top Gun. Oh, Top Gun! (Highway to the Danger Zone...) Did you think I would forget to mention Dirty Dancing? Not a chance! I still know all the words to all the songs on the sountrack. And I am saving the best for last - Girls Just Want to Have Fun! I loved dancing when I was younger and this was just one awesome movie! But please tell me THIS is not true - a re-make with Miley Cyrus? Nooo... say it isn't so!

In other total randomness...

I am sometimes too lazy to empty the dishwasher. So instead, I'll just start it again... and walk away. Am I the only one who does this? I hope not!

I shop a lot. Some would say I'm quite addicted to shopping. I am not going to lie to you - I am addicted to shopping. It's nothing new. It's been a part of who I am for a very long time. I loves clothes. And shoes. And purses. And I love shopping for my boys. They have enough clothes to dress an entire city. If I didn't have this insane spending habit, I could afford to take my family to Florida 5 times a year. But seriously, I can't stop because I'm convinced someone is stealing my clothes. How else can I explain the fact that every morning when I wake up, despite all the shopping I do, I never have anything to wear? Which is why I'm going shopping on my lunch break. Because I have nothing to wear this weekend! (Shh, don't tell my husband!)

I speak to my boys in both Greek and English. When I'm all lovey-dovey with them, I'm usually talking Greek. I find that my oldest son, Christos, speaks English with a bit of an accent now - which is so totally cute. When he says "What are you doing?" he sounds just like Borat.

This weekend is shaping up to be action-packed and fun-filled. I'm taking the day off tomorrow to meet up with one of my BFF's and her baby who now live in Toronto along with my two kids at her sister's house with her three kids for an afternoon of swimming. Remind me again why I'm getting my highlights done in the morning, when I will be swimming in the afternoon? Sigh! Then, a birthday dinner at a fabulous restaurant for another BFF and cousin, and a BBQ at my other BFF's house (who is also my baby Dimitry's Godmother!) Fun, fun, fun. I only hope the colds my boys both have will magically go away by tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Happy Weekend, everyone!

21 comments:

Linda @ My Trendy Tykes said...

I loooove loooove love Can't Buy Me Love! Another old one? Footloose!

I usually forget clothes in the washing machine. I probably wash the same load at least 3 times a day.

Loukia said...

Linda - I do that too! Oopsie! ;)

ModernMom said...

Okay..maybe we were separated at birth! LOL
Love ALL of those movies.
I have never just restarted the dishwasher..but I might try that trick now. HA
Love to shop.
You're getting the highlights because something like that is too important to wait!
AND a girlfriend from Toronto..so close to me:)

Loukia said...

ModernMom - my 2 BFF's live in Toronto, and sadly they are my 2 BFF's with CHIDLREN! Argh, so sad. We're planning to be in TO one weekend this summer, we should try to meet up! You're so lucky you're surrounded by PBK!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Um, addicted to shopping? Me? Never either. I can't help myself.
You know, as long as it is money you have, and not credit card wrack up, what is the big deal, right? Right?!?!
I hate emptying the dishwasher too!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Those are all great movies, but the one I'm totally addicted to -- to this day -- is Ferris Bueller's Day Off. When I was a kid, I knew practically the whole movie, line for line. And I would recite it, line for line. "Ten bucks says he's sitting in his car right now, debating whether or not he should go out." Or "I asked for a car, I got a computer. How's that for being born under a bad sign?" Love it, love it, love it.

I don't mind emptying the dishwasher...I just hate laundry folding!!! I've been putting off both tasks for a couple days, but finally did them this morning.

Sounds like you have a great weekend coming up! Enjoy!!!

Chandra said...

OMG...those are all great and memorable movies! Sixteen Candles, Better off Dead, St. Elmos's Fire, The Breakfast Club, Dirty Dancing,FOOTLOOSE, Some kind of Wonderful...oh the list goes on and on!!

I wish I had the money to be a shopoholic because I sooo totally would be if I did!

I think accents are so adorable, so that's just one more reason your little guy is going to be a heartbreaker when he gets older, girls CANNOT resit an accent!! So be prepared!

Chelle said...

I love me some 80's movies! I have sooo many and I love them all! I'm kinda in the mood to watch a few...

I was cracking up at the dishwasher, lol!! You are too funny!

I love shopping, too...love it! It's usually for Isabella, though. I am addicted to buying her things!

Have fun swimming! And getting your highlights done--I need to do mine, too, you just reminded me :) But swimming sounds like a blast!

The wife of bold said...

Troop Beverly hills...wow i had forgotton about that, i used to watch it over and over along with annie and all the others you mentioned! I am going to have a look on amazon and buy troop beverly hills x

Lady Mama said...

Oh I loved Dirty Dancing growing up!

That's so funny that you start the dishwasher again when you don't want to empty it. I hate emptying it too. Someone should make one that washes AND empties!

Jessica said...

That scene in Say Anything is my ultimate favorite. I also loved Dirty Dancing TONS- but I could go on and on. Just wanted to tell you that your family is beautiful! Those boys are adorable, and I love their names- and that you speak to them in Greek. I can and I will someday- but prob too late for my kids ;)

Noah's Mommy said...

I LOVED that movie...patrick dempsey...I loved the goonies...and Peggy Sue got married....I have an award for you over at my place...if you'd like it

Amy said...

That your kid sounds like Borat is like the coolest thing I've ever heard. That is too adorable!

Dirty Dancing! Top Gun! LOVE.

And John Cusack. I have loved him ever since Say Anything -haven't we all been in love with him since then? And why isn't he a bigger star? That's just wrong.

CaraBee said...

I LOVE all of those movies! My favorite of the John Hughes is Sixteen Candles, though. Jake Ryan was my dream boyfriend. Now he makes furniture in Scranton, PA. Random, right?

Sounds like you have a busy weekend planned! Have fun!

Stesha said...

Beaches was my favorite too! It's one of those movies that I like to watch in the middle of the night while everyone is sleeping.

Don't feel bad about the dishwasher. I usually do the same to the load of laundry in the dryer. Sad. I know.

Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha

Elaine A. said...

Sounds like a fun weekend. And ALL The movies you mentioned from the '80's, I mean ALL OF THEM, I loved too! Especially Beaches (my h.s. bff and I saw it 3 times in the theater!), BIG and Dead Poets Society.

And please no, on the Miley Cyrus remake. That would be just horrendous!!!!

Mercy said...

It's good that you are teaching your kids 2 languages now while they are young enough to learn both easily.
You sound like someone who has a lot of fun in life, especially the shopping part. If I could afford it I'd do the same. I love clothes shopping.

Tiaras & Tantrums said...

I love all those movies too!

I used to shop more - but not since I don't work - (deep sigH) I miss it!!!!!!!!

Rebecca said...

Great list of movies!!

I loved Dirty Dancing and Top Gun but would also add Crocodile Dundee - I know, kinda lame but we loved it!

Nap Warden said...

NOOOOO...they can NOT remake Girls Just Want to Have Fun! NOOOOO!

Chantal said...

I hope your weekend was as fun as planned. I loved all those movies too (and the other ones mentioned in the comments). Now if I could just find time to watch movies now... No time with kids. Oh well, I'll watch lots of movies when they grow up and move out. That will happen, won't it? :)

Blog Designed by: NW Designs