Skip to main content

I'll be there for you

You know what helps keep a mother sane? No, not wine. Friends. Yes, friends. And this weekend, I'm going on a mini vacation, out of town, with my friends - friends I've known my entire life, friends who have been through everything with me, friends I remember teasing my hair with, dancing to Mini Pops with, friends I've cried with, friends I've laughed with.







Friends who have now become moms, like me. In fact, my two best friends with children live 5 hours away from me. How sad is that? Very.





These friends are my best friends. I have traveled with these awesome girls to Venezuela, Greece (multiple times), California, Florida, New York City, Toronto, Montreal... I have lived in D.C. with one of them, I have gone to University with almost all of them, and I've lived with one of them in college. We really have been through it all together. And boy, do we have stories to tell...





Some of us live in Toronto now, while the rest of us remain in Ottawa. So, every year, we try to meet up somewhere in the middle for a girls weekend get together. And this weekend - we're getting together!

So, on Saturday, I will put on my brave mommy face, get in car, drive for 2 hours and see my girlfriends. I will only call home every 30 minutes - no more! And I will try to not leave the next day at the crack of dawn. I will be relaxed, I will drink lots of wine, and I will eat carbs! This will be a much needed break for me, having had to deal with two sick children this past week - that always takes a toll on me, emotionally - nothing worse than seeing your children sick, you know? But now that they are better, I'm going away for a night, to re-connect with my girls, and to have a fun weekend... with lots of wine. Because that also helps keep a mother sane!

Edited to add: NONE of my best friends, with the exception of one (Hi, Suzanne!) ever leave me comments on my blog. And I still love them. That's friendship, baby. And only a few of them read my blog, too. Although the ones who do read it always comment to me about it, and they just don't get why I'm not making money like Dooce is. "Loukia, OMG, I saw this show on Oprah, and there was a lady on who blogs like you do! BUT SHE MAKES MONEY! How come you're not making money?" Yeah. My friends don't blog. But I still love them so!

Comments

Chantal said…
Oh that sounds like so much fun. I haven't had a girls weekend in ages.
Jessica said…
That is so awesome! Friends are everything. I wish I was closer to my best friends, too. We're all planning a big ski trip this next February and I'm super excited about it :)
stilettochicken said…
I hope you have the greatest time ever! Baby fever breaks just in time to give Mommy a break!

Non-bloggers do not get the concept of Heather, and why we're not all on the same track. :)
Its so great that you have that group of girls to hang with and count on!! You are a lucky girl!!
I couldn't agree more!

Sounds like fun - I'm jealous!
I hope you girls are having a great time.
Kelly said…
Have a great weekend! That's great that you girls still stay in touch.
Christy said…
Sounds like a fabulous group of friends, and you're so lucky you live within driving distance. I hope you have a fun night out with them and let yourself sleep in the next day before going home!
Anonymous said…
Awww they look like nice friends. (love the 80's dress-up shot) Sounds like you're going to have a great weekend.
Mom2Miles said…
Ha, ha!! I had to laugh about the Dooce comments. Yeah, I think I've heard that a time or two, also.

Have fun on your girls' weekend. I'm jealous!!
BeachMama said…
How wonderful! I hope you have a really great weekend with your girlfriends and enjoy your time rejuvinating.
Apple said…
It's so nice to be able to just get away and be with friends you love. Have a great time!
Rebecca said…
ha! Great post. I am the worse for leaving the kids (well, now with babe can't but didn't before witho nly ds too) but I do like my girlfriend time! Even coffee or dinner is a nice treat...
Unknown said…
have a great time...
Unknown said…
We all need time away and going away with best friends is well, the BEST! ; ) Enjoy it!
Shana said…
me and my girlfriends do the same thing every year as well! enjoy your time away! you will come back refreshed and rejuvenated!!
hmmm... it almost sounds like a sorority ;-)

I envy you for being so close to your friends! I'd love to be 2 hours away from my best friends, rather than having them all over the place.
RuensOnTheRun said…
Have a great time!! My IRL bestfriends don't read my blog either...Whaaa?!?!
Christy said…
What a great post! I'm the exact same way, my closest friends are those that I've known forever and we've also, been through it all together. it's so wonderful being with people where you don't have to explain things, becuase they just know?

Have a wonderful girls weekend - I can't wait for a time I can do that again!

I don't think my girlfriends even know what blogs are :)
Anonymous said…
Enjoy, Mama! You deserve to have the best time! I think it is stuff like this that makes us better mommies in the long run.
twinmomplusone said…
Have fun Loukia! I know first hand how much of a treat time away with girlfriends is, have been doing it once a year for quite some time now :)

I'm like a lot of the others, my IRL friends never knew that I blogged , let alone what a blog is ;)
Kristen Andrews said…
that sounds like fun and you are very lucky to have such fab friends!
OHmommy said…
I too just had a reunion with girlfriends turned new mommies. It is crazy how far we have come.

Fun times.

You guys are TOO CUTE.
Stephanie said…
So so wonderful! (and you're all so gorgeous too!)
Amy said…
Y'all are so adorable! What great pictures. I've never ever done a girls trip, so I'm jealous.
Awesome! have fun! I really need that type of weekend.
Oh, and my SISTER never comments for me, how sad is she?!
sheila said…
Ehhhh, Dooce is a fluke. Non of us make money. But blogging is free therapy...so that's good! lol.

how nice to be able to get away with friends! *sigh*. I have never done that at all since I've been married. Everyone's always too busy. uh.
CaraBee said…
What a great weekend! We're trying to plan a BIG girl's weekend with all of my besties since forever. It's so hard when everyone works, has families, etc.

Have fun!
Your friends sound like a hoot. I hope it's a great time.