Friday, July 17, 2009

When a haircut goes bad

My mom and I are best friends. We see eachother almost every day. We talk on the phone a dozen times a day. We email throughout the day, too. We travel together. We shop together, we laugh, we fight. It's a great relationship.



And, luckily for me, my mom babysits my boys during the week when I am at work. And the days she does not babysit? She usually sees us, anyway. She misses the boys if a day goes by and she has not seen them - and the boys miss her, too. They are very attached to her. She is very giving, very attentive, and she has amazing patience with them. She will talk to the boys as her equal, explain things to them, teach them, read to them, paint with them, cook with them.





She takes them out on countless outings - from museums, to shopping trips, to walks in the park, swimming and play dates - she really does it all. And oh yeah - she even manages to find time to cook for them! I don't know how she does it. Basically, she is just a terrific mom and grandmother, and I could NOT do it without her. She is my saviour, truly.

The only skill she lacks, though, is that of 'hairdresser'. She has been known to cut my children's hair from time to time, when she thinks their bangs are getting too long.

And each time, I tell her: "Mom, please NEVER EVER do that again - this is why we take them to a hairdresser!"

And each time, she tells me she won't do it again. Until next time. She will never learn!

A few days ago, I get home from work, only to discover she had cut Dimitry's bangs. A little too short for my liking.

"Mom!" I said, "What did you do?"

Her response? "It wasn't me - it was Christos!"

I see we have another problem altogether on our hands now, as giving scissors to my almost 4 year old to cut his almost 18 month old brother's hair is um... not the best idea. However, she was right there, and he only cut off one part, which in turn made her cut the rest of it, to try to even it out.

This is the end result of said haircut:



He's still the cutest baby, ever, in my humble opinion. And his bangs will grow quickly, right?

23 comments:

Managed Chaos said...

Loukia, he's just the cutest little guy ever, bad haircut or not (and I don't think it looks bad at all ;o) So glad you have such a wonderful support system with your mother!

Chantal said...

Ah the "haircut" every child has one! :)

anya said...

He's adorable....must be in the genes! Both you and your mom are gorgeous!

Chelle said...

He's still adorable! Awww!

Krystyn said...

Of course, he's adorable...and I was expecting a lot worse..it's really not as bad as you think.

Blahbitty Blahbitty Blahbitty Blah! said...

Oh, I agree with your other readers, he is just precious. The bangs will grow quickly, and really, I think they look just fine. I used to cut my oldest son's hair when he was younger, but after too many attempts and endless struggling: hairdresser here we come! Now, the job of the carrying out the haircut trip for the boys has gone to my husband. I will be in charge of my daughter's hair and mine for now. That's enough to worry about.

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

Maybe we need a closeup because it doesn't look bad from that angle - believe me if my mom was able to do all that for me with my kids - she would be allowed to shave his head!!!

OHmommy said...

Has anyone told you that your mom and you have the same smile? You guys do!

You are so lucky to live close to her. I miss my mom.

Theta Mom said...

Too funny! I always keep my son's hair short so I never have to worry about a bang issue...but he looks adorable! I also have a wonderful relationship with my mother-we're blessed! :)

ModernMom said...

LOL Both my girls cut their own hair at one point or another. With CRAFT scissors..you know those little plastic ones? Yes the bangs do come back quickly:)

Lady Mama said...

Your mom is hilarious! It probably looks worse to you as you're his mom. They'll grow out in no time. Also, reading this post makes me miss my Mum - we live about 5000 miles apart. :(

Jennifer said...

He's a cutie! I remember cutting my own bangs when I was about three while my mom was in the bathroom. I went in to show her my achievement, and she started to cry!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

I think Dimitry looks pretty cute! That's WAY better than the crappy first haircut I gave my boy. I didn't know what I was doing, we had to leave on a trip and I couldn't let him walk around and not be able to see through his hair. I look back at those vacation pictures and cringe.

I think that's so funny that your mom doesn't learn! Sounds like a certain grandmother I know who constantly gives my boy cookies right before dinnertime, even though I ask her repeatedly not to...

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Awwww!! I just want to tell you how blessed you are to have a mom like that. Not all of us were so lucky ;-)

Christy said...

Definitely - they'll grow quick!

And how fabulous that you have such a great relationship with your mom! You are one lucky girl!

Oh, and I wanted to suggest someone for you to interview, if you haven't already:http://www.centsationalgirl.com/

AND, I was wondering if I could be a total copycat and interview you on my blog?! What do you think?

♥Aubrey said...

Awww...moms are the greatest indeed! I feel the same about mine. We're always chatting away :)

Shana said...

I think he looks adorable!! And you are so lucky to have a great mom like that!!!

Sandy said...

Ooooh, he's soooo cute. At least it grows like a weed when they're little, but a think it looks adorable anyway.

CaraBee said...

Pshaw, he looks adorable! How lucky to have such a great relationship with your mom. I love mine, but our relationship is much stronger for my living 1000 miles away.

Elaine A. said...

Their hair grows SO fast, non worries!

P.S. That's a wonderful relationship to have with your mother and her with your boys! : )

Nap Warden said...

Yes they will grow back. I'm so jealous that your Mom is so close. I wish my family could see my kiddos every day:(

Remind me to tell you when Husband decided to cut The Little Man's hair...oy!

That Girl said...

Definitely still cute... even with short bangs (or fringe in the UK!). And your mum sounds amazing! I have sooo many bad hair cut stories.. you may have even just inspired a whole post of its own! The question is... will I be brave enough to include photos?!? x

Farmers Wife said...

Aww he is gorgeous! You are so lucky to have your mum close by. My mum just visited here, she lives in another state. I miss her. I must say, your mother looks so young, you are both gorgeous!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs