Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The good stuff

I feel like I too often talk about the things I'm not good at, or the things I don't like doing, or the things I don't like about myself.

I suck in the kitchen. I can't really cook more than 5 things. I am not a 'nikokira' - Greek for 'good housewife'. I can't iron. My closet is a mess 3 days after I organize it. I sometimes leave wet towels on the floor after my shower. I swear too much. I spend too much money. I buy my children whatever they want. I can't say no. I drive too fast. I switch lanes without putting my signal on, sometimes. I eat too much chocolate. So do my children. My math skills are horrible. I'm not the size I want to be, yet. My abs are still not what they were before I had kids. I hate traffic. I'm always late.

Okay, so. How about what I am good at? Or the things I love about me? Or the things that make me happy? Isn't it time for a more positive post?

I love my hair. It is what I get the most compliments on. Followed by my smile. You'll see my biggest smiles, my most honest smiles, in any picture I'm in with my children. That's me.

I still love my boobs. Maybe more now then before. Pretty cool that they fed my babies for a while!

I love shopping. I'm not going to feel bad about this, or make it something bad. I'm single-handedly great for the economy. Both the American and Canadian economy. You're welcome.

I love reading to my children. I love teaching my children. I love playing with my children. At playdates, I'm not hanging out with the other moms, even though a part of me wishes I was. I'm playing with the kids. I'm reading to them, I'm laughing with them, I'm chasing them around. I'm on my knees, getting dirty, I'm in the pool, getting my hair wet. Every minute I'm with my children, I'm with my children. Actively involved. Talking, playing, laughing. Being together, in the moment. I love being a mom.

I love swimming. I'm great at swimming. I have never lost a race. I took swimming lessons all my life. I love being in the ocean, swimming, far and deep, away from the shore. Praying I don't get bitten by a shark or jellyfish. You cannot keep me out of the water. It is my favourite thing to do.

I love reading. Books are my passion. I think I'm a geek at heart. I must be. I love a great book, I love a great blog post, I love the connections. I would rather be home in bed with a book (or my iphone) then out at a bar. My friends know this about me and yet they still love me. Thank you.

I love getting my hair done at the salon once or twice a week. It's my time to relax. Plus, I cannot do it as good myself!

I'm great at organizing my children's closets. Shirts, pants, sweaters, socks, underwear - I'm very proud of their closets. Their rooms are always picture perfect - toys and books put away, beds made neatly, clothes hung in order. Yay, me!

I make great mashed potatoes.

I make great scrambled eggs.

I make great homemade mac and cheese.

I love listening to great music while driving.

I love being in airports, and people watching.

I love spending times with great friends.

I am good at at multi-tasking when I'm at work. I can write an article, I can write a comms plan, I can send out a dozen important emails, do research for a new project, organzie a meeting, read a few blog posts, and tweet all in like, 10 minutes flat. Okay, maybe in more time than that, but you know. I can do a lot at once.

I am never late at sending out thank you cards. I love stationary and thank you cards are important to me! Nothing like old-fashined mail, you know?

I love sleeping beside my children. I can't imagine not spending most nights sleeping beside one of them. Seeing my children sleeping brings me such happiness and peace. They grow up so fast, so I'm going to spend as much time as I can with them sleeping beside me, because I have a funny feeling when they are teenagers? They're not going to want their mom in bed with them anymore!

I love riding my bike. And now, I ride my bike with my 4 year old riding beside me. That is a beautiful thing.

So there you go! A happy, positive, I love me post. Hope I did not just kill you with too much happiness. But sometimes it is important to keep things positive, you know? What do you love about yourself? What is your favourite thing about you? What are your passions? What makes you happy?

31 comments:

Rebecca said...

Loukia, this is why I read your blog. I love your positivity, your happiness and outlook on life. It's refreshing in a world (the mommy world included) of difficulties, complaints and sadness.

Thank you

Jessica said...

I feel a happy post coming on from my end, too! It's good to keep things in balance/perspective, right?

I'm a great swimmer, too!! Too bad BlogHer '10 isn't in Miami! We could hit the beach!

Loukia said...

Jessica, if BlogHer was in Miami, I would miss the entire conference because I'd be at the beach! Or shopping. Although I know I'm getting some shopping in when I'm in NYC!

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

I love it! Few of us take enough time to smell the roses and remember how great we are! What a nice reminder.

I was thinking about doing a post like this...I think you'll find a lot of us singing our own praises soon...nice one!

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

You've got a HUGE list of things you like and like about yourself. (I share many of them with you!)

Great post!

Jenn@ The Crazies said...

This was a great post! Thanks for sharing! I think tomorrow I might try to come up with some " I love me" things!

The wife of bold said...

Wow i wish i still loved my boobs - i had great boobs pre - kids, unfortunately they look like empty socks with tennis balls in the end now:(

Mama Karebare said...

Love your post. Its nice getting to know the mommies a little more!

anya said...

This post left me with a great feeling - your positivity is contagious!

Quirkymom said...

Hi Loukia,

I've been reading your posts now for awhile and always love them. For the longest time I thought you were a single mom, but then I believe I saw a picture of your husband? Am I right, most of your posts are about your kids or neat ideas, but I don't remember seeing one on a hubby or daddy? Just trying to fill in the missing pieces.

Loukia said...

Most of my posts ARE about my children, but I have talked about husband here lots before!

Chantal said...

This post is a great idea. I don't "love me" enough. :)

Sue said...

I don't love me enough either! Good job and I am jealous about how you get your hair done so much!!!

Lady Mama said...

Great post. I love that you're such a positive person. Your positivity literally radiates through your blog!

But, um, you love your boobs after having kids? How is that possible?!

Crystal D said...

Love it! What a wonderful, positive post you have here. :)

Linda @ My Trendy Tykes said...

great post....I LOVE IT!

McMommy said...

Great post! Being honest is important...with both the bad AND the good!

Scary Mommy said...

I wish you lived next door to me. :)

Jenn@ The Crazies said...

Just wanted to let you know that I "copied" your idea and posted on my blog.. Of course I linked to you and this awesome post! have a great night!

Shana said...

Thanks for a positive post!! Although I think you are ALWAYS positive!! Thanks so much for the sweet comments on my blog. This has been tough for me!!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

You are adorable. So important to be aware of where you excel when we spend so much time focusing on where we fall short.

Chelle said...

Seriously, honey?

I love your blog. Like, love love LOVE your blog.

You always make me smile, you always make me think...thank you :)

2 Little Irish Boys said...

What a fun post! I love reading these things about you and it is so fun that we have so many things in common.
Swimming, playing with our kids at playdates (moms probably hate me or think I am stuckup), stationary, and a lot of the others. But, I have to say (still nursing) I am not happy with my boobs after 3 yrs of nursing 1 1/2 years for both of my boys. Hope they appreciate it!!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

I LOVE this! I agree -- it is so important to celebrate the things we love and do well! The rest we can laugh about. If not now, then later!

Anonymous said...

Loukia ... u r so cute and adorable love this post and your honesty,just love it. now i feel like i dont have be perfect all the time and when im spending time with little man let the house work fall behind .. funny how this post made me realise that

Mercy said...

I started reading your blog because it is always FUN. I only read blogs that I find exciting and interesting and yours is all that and more.

amotherworld said...

What a refreshing post! And don't worry about the "nikokira" thing...my mom comes over and tells me she needs to come over one day "na kathariso to spiti sou!" ~Maria

Nap Warden said...

Well...I love illustrating! Which worked out well for both of us;)

Reluctant Housewife said...

Fun post! I think it can be harder to share what we like about ourselves than it is to share what we don't like.

I like myself best when I'm making someone laugh.

Jessica said...

I really, really loved this! So fun to read! Upbeat and positive, such a breath of fresh air. Thank you!

Jen said...

This made me smile for miles. Loukia, I totally love you. Your love for your life is so pure, so complete. Nice to see. I love happy people.

xo

Blog Designed by: NW Designs