Thursday, September 17, 2009

Barefoot is the new Black: The Interview

It's that time of the month again, everyone! Time for my interview with a fabulous blogger.

I've had the pleasure of interviewing such greatness as: McMommy, OHMommy, and Scary Mommy - and now, I am happy to interview the wonderful and hilarious Brittany from Barefoot Foodie!



Where did you come up with the name for your blog, Barefoot Foodie?

Well, in the beginning, I was writing about food, but I wasn't a very good food blogger, nothing was healthy, I ate like a frat boy, it was bad. So, I veered away from food and started writing about my life, and things finally started to click. Everything took off so quick, I never got a chance to change my name before I was branded into it. C'est le vie.

So.... 3 kids in 3 years. Wow. How do you deal? On a day to day basis? I only have two boys, and I find it extremely hard sometimes! Do you do take-out most nights? Or are you as good in the kitchen as you are in the bedroom?

I have no idea how I am even alive right now. It's just a giant blur of yoga pants, fruit snacks and play-doh. I actually do cook quite often, because the kitchen is one of the places in the house I can hide out and drink wine, but when I do opt for take out, it's usually ethnic. So that it's, like, educational. I made that last part up, I do it for the eggrolls.

You have gorgeous hair. And your avatar on Twitter is beautiful. How do you take care of your locks?

I have 4 aunts who are hair stylists. They are the ONLY reason I don't have dreadlocks. Basically, I have really, really thick and coarse hair, and due to it's texture, I only wash it about once every three days, never brush it, sleep with it tousled up in a scrunchie, and only touch it up with a hot curling iron if things look ratty.

What's your most embarrassing story in relation to being out in public with your children?

I think my life is one big string of embarrassing moments, but I would have to say one of the more memorable was when my middle son had a very messy diaper explosion on my lap at my grandpa's funeral. I am SO glad that I always travel with a change of clothes in my car!

What is your favourite memory with each of your children?

The day they were born. With three kids born VERY close together, one on one time is scarse. I distinctly remember spending that time with them alone, cuddling with them in the wee hours of the morning, before the visitors, nurses and doctors took over the room.

Did you love being pregnant? Was each time different, or more or less the same?

I absolutely loved being pregnant, and I get all teary just thinking about how that part of my life is over now. I was really happy with my body during pregnancy, my boobs were amazing, and it's the closest to rock hard abs I have ever had. I felt sexy all the time. Now I have to, like, work out and stuff to feel sexy... totally not as fun.

Are you emotional over the thought of your children going to school?

Um, yes. My oldest is going to preschool this year, and I have so much anxiety about it. What if he has a hard time making friends? What if someone is mean to him? What if he gets scared? It's sooo traumatizing... for me. He, on the other hand, can't wait. I have issues.

What do you do in your spare time?

What is this "spare time" you speak of? My whole day is a juggling act. Blogs, kids and household responsibilites consume me. Any time I get outside of that, I pour into my book.

What do you love about blogging? Will you be at BlogHer '10?

I absolutely will be at BlogHer '10, so keep your eyes peeled for me! But, yes, I adore blogging. I started blogging out of necessity. I always knew I wanted to write a book, but with the demands of kids, there was no way I could sit down for any legnth of time to write something coherent. And yet, I needed to express myself, or my head might explode. Enter blogging. I never expected to get out of it what I have. The oppotunities are amazing, and the community is life changing.

14 comments:

Deb Thaxton said...

-->Great interview. I love her blog too. She makes me laugh on a regular basis.
~deb

http://www.websavymom.com

Scary Mommy said...

I simply adore Brittany. I think of her as the funnier version of myself! I agree with everything-- especially the precious 1 on 1 moments at the hospital and rock hard abs. So true!!

MamaJoss said...

Great interview! Brittany is on my daily-read list and she just cracks me up constantly. Her interview here is just as brilliant as her blog -- thanks for sharing :)

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

LOVE love LOVE Brittany!!!! But I had no idea she started as food blogger too. Former failed food bloggers UNITE! Ha!

Jenn@ The Crazies said...

Great interview! Thanks for introducing me to her. Oh, and her hair is awesome!

Lady Mama said...

Great interview. I started reading Brittany's blog recently and she is one of the funniest bloggers I've come across - she has a really good way with words.

And seriously reading that she had three kids in three years and is still alive has made me a little calmer this morning, so thanks for that!

Elaine A. said...

That's it L, you gotta go to BlogHer '10 just to meet this woman and I gotta go so I can spend more time with her. Our time together in July was WAY too short!

Also, I read Scary Mommy's comment and I have to say, I used to get the two of them confused. They remind me of each other. Funny, huh? : )

Chantal said...

Great interview. I have never heard of her. I will have to drop in for a visit. :)

Kell said...

just so ya know, the link you have on her name takes you to your blog! might wanna fix that cuz id like to follow!

xoxo

Mountain Momma said...

So glad you interviewed Brittany, she is one of my favorite bloggers. Her writing is always a sure thing to make me pee in my pants.

Nap Warden said...

Oh...great interview...She rocks! I met her at Blogher '09:)

Reluctant Housewife said...

Great interview.

I wish I had a bunch of hairdressers in my family, then maybe my hair could be a gorgeous as hers... nah. Very interesting interviewee (did I say that right, even?) I really enjoyed reading her replies to your questions.

Patrice said...

Great interview! It's such a great idea to interview other bloggers! Wish I had thought of that haha

I love this blogger she is so funny and even though I'm not a mom I find myself relating to her all the time!

mommymaria said...

Good Job Loukia!!!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs