Friday, September 18, 2009

Fall Fashion Friday

When I was a teenager, the most important issue of Seventeen Magazine was the fall issue. August was packed with amazing fall fashion, and I loved going back to school shopping for clothes. Oh, the clothes! And the boots! And the cute tights worn with little skirts and new shoes! Was that not the best part of going back to school?

Funny thing, how all my fall clothes from last season mysteriously disappear when it comes time to do my closet seasonal re-organization... that means one thing and one thing only - time to go shopping!

I'm loving the entire fall line-up at my two favourite stores: J.Crew and Banana Republic. I like to mix it up with pieces from Club Monaco and GAP for more casual wear. And if I lived in the USA, I'd add Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus to that list, as you can always find great pieces to add to your wardrobe by various designers.

Now, I'm not one to follow the trends - rather, I like to look for ideas in magazines and then do my own thing when I'm shopping. My look is more or less always the same - nice pair of pants, or jeans, sweater or cute t-shirt, boots or cute heels.

These are a few of the items I recently purchased from J.Crew:

This shirt, in grey:



And this sweater is so soft and perfect to wear over almost anything - again, in grey:



I wore this when I went out for dinner for my birthday - it is so comfy, too!



See? I'm wearing the shirt... oh, wait - you can't really see it. But see how happy I am? It's because I am wearing that shirt!



Also? A cashmere sweater from J.Crew. I bought this in green. It's heavenly.



Another essential part of my fall/winter wardrobe is the super-comfy casual shirt - one you can throw on with jeans when you go to the movies, or out for dinner with friends, or even when you're entertaining at home. I bought this shirt in black, and I now want to order it in every single colour! It looks great paired with jeans.



My other fall must-have items are:

A great pair of black pants. Or a few black pants. They go with everything. If you find a pair that you love, buy two. You will thank me later! They are the most essential part of my wardrobe. And these pants from Banana:



A little black dress. Which you should all own, right? Because it's a great go-to outfit for those evenings out when you don't know what else to wear! A form-fitting grey dress will be a great addition to your fall wardrobe, too. I just bought one from Banana that I can't wait to wear to work with a pair of black tights and boots!

And of course, a pair of cute booties - in grey and black and brown. Comfort for me is key, too, as I have to carry my children around everywhere! (And I'm still searching for that nice pair of grey boots - help me out here if you have seen any!)



A classic white shirt. You can wear this with jeans, or any pair of pants, and all your skirts, too.

A great winter coat. It is freezing in Canada from November until March, so buying a new coat every winter is a must. I love a great camel coloured coat paired with a beautiful white scarf and gloves. Makes me tolerate winter a bit more, you know?


What are your must-have items for fall? Anything special on your shopping list that you are excited to buy?

20 comments:

OHmommy said...

Look at you mentioning Club Monaco too. It's SO funny that we both did fashion posts. Love your style!

Jenn@ The Crazies said...

Working for a doctors office.. our "uniform" is black pants paired with any top we want so I have tons of black pants and leggings and pair them with funky tops and short dresses( over the leggings)
I need comfy shoes when working so Sketchers are a fav.. but a great pair of suede boots under jeans is also a must have!

Christy said...

Great choices - I love your style. I'm afraid my must haves are boring - cords and comfy cotton sweaters!

Theta Mom said...

Love J. Crew! My favorite is the shirt you wore for your b-day. You can't beat the comfort and true value of J. Crew. Everything I own seems to last forever! BTW, my all time favorite if my J. Crew black flip-flops. If I could wear these all year round, I would!

skichik79 said...

where is J. Crew ?

Gina said...

i like those little boots but would have no idea how to wear them. over the jeans? odd. under? even more odd, and would probably make your ankles/calfs look weirdly big. with leggings? well arent they too short? see, many things to consider. shoe shopping is the bane of my existance.

Chantal said...

I am not a good shopper at all. And I have to admit that when I do shop I often end up at Marks Work Wearhouse. They had an awesome "little black dress" in their flyer this week and I wish I wasn't preggy or I would buy it.

ModernMom said...

I'm with you and love to stock up on the cozy swetaers for the winter. Hate the cold!

Neena said...

You're my style guru!!

Mommy Lisa said...

I am in search of a great cocoon sweater in ivory/cream. If you see one???

But now I want that shirt with the scoop neck too.

I have been doing a lot of grey/green purchasing lately too. Found a really nice long cardigan with 3/4 sleave at Banana, in grey. LOVE it with a white v-neck t underneath.

I need new black flats too.

Connie Weiss said...

Those are all great pieces! I like to be comfortable too.

Smart A$$ Mom said...

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/onlineProductDisplay.vs?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=EE-246831&cgname=OSSHUDESMOR&atp=a

If those don't make your toes curl and you squeel....well....I'm not sure we can be friends. I am also not sure the comfort level, however I am willing to try!

anya said...

Love this post! But now I have the shopping bug...uh oh. ;)

Jessica said...

Lou, you've hit your mark!! I love that you and I are the same size and we seem to also have similar tastes (although, I think I'm a little WEIRDER than you, but that's coo').

I LOVE those pieces you posted and I'm so with you on the comfy heels (due to carrying around large children all the time).

I just bought these boots from Nordy's in the dark brown. They feel amazing and give a good height and I'm super sensitive in the back-to-heel ratio and so far no pain!

Anyway, I'm gonna scout J. Crew for sales for these sweaters :) We can be twins. hahah

Loukia said...

Max... we don't have a J.Crew here yet, although I hear Toronto is getting one, of course! You'll have to go shopping in the USA or online for now! I just stock up majorly everytime I'm south of the border! ;)

Smart Ass Mom... I want those boots... are they not the cutest ever? For this boot - screw comfort! Plus, I think with the platform they'd be comfy, anyway...


Jessica... love those boots!!!

G... the boots can be easily worn under jeans... as long as they're not skinny jeans... which I'd never own, anyway! ;)

CaraBee said...

For me, it is the ever present black cardigan. Each year, I get a couple in whatever the current style is and practically live in them all fall and winter.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I've been into black and gray this year..not sure why! I think I own about 10 pairs of black pants now. I am searching for a winter boot that I can wear all day. Seriously. Our school is so crazy cold in the winter that you can hardly teach you are so cold. I need some warm boots so I can concentrate on my job!
I have a cute coach pair and a pair of Michael Kors in mind.

EatPlayLove said...

Oh that first cardigan is adorable! There's a Nordstrom Rack just a few minutes from my house where I find delightfully priced items, you should seek one out during your next visit!

mommymaria said...

If you have any sort of feelings for me - and I know for a fact that you dream about me often, and wish I lived in your basement - then please send me the grey cardigan, the black long sleeve tee and the grey tee.

p.s. Its really rude of you to rub your JCrew sprees in our faces -- really rude -- but you can make it up to me by sending me the dress pants and boots.

p.s.s. No pressure but you may also want to send some cashmere, just to be on the safe side.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

We have very similar style. And label preferences. I wish I had money to spend at J. Crew right now. The last few seasons have been amazing.

Blog Designed by: NW Designs