Top 5 things on my mind today:
1. I'm not a big fan of Kindle. I love books. I love buying new books, I love adding books to my collection, I love books stacked up on my night table and on my bookcases. I love reading to my boys, I love the smell of a new book, the feel of a well-read book, and the comfort of holding a book in my hands. The thought that maybe one day books will become a thing of the past scares me, to be honest. We're at a digital age now where my 4 year old can use my iphone. What will the future be like for him? Will he not get the same joy as I do when I walk into a bookstore? At the same time, I think it's great that Kindle users have the ability to download books from the library for free. All you need is a library card. So technically, if you buy a Kindle, you'll never have to pay money for a book again, if you choose not to.
2. The whole Dooce washer and dryer story is kind of ridiculous, no? So she complains about her Maytag washer and dryer and people think she shouldn't complain on Twitter, and then she gets offered a free washer and dryer from Bosch, who I totally love, by the way, and we just got a new dishwasher from them, and it's great, but I digress... Who cares what she says? Does her voice really affect your opinion on things like what products to buy? If her Maytag sucks, that doesn't mean yours will suck, too! I don't get why people get so worked up about the things she says or does? Am I missing something here?
3. Twitter is pretty awesome. I've discovered many awesome blogs through Twitter, and I've had amazing people give me advice, help answer my questions and re-tweet my blog posts. I love the conversations. I love the random, uselessness that is Twitter. It's as addictive as Facebook was when it first came out.
4. My birthday is two days away! Another year, and I'm older and wiser. Well, older for sure. Wiser? Not so much.
5. I can't believe it's September. Where did summmer go? Seriously. Summer was way too short this year. But I love fall, too. I am only fearful for what's to come - dreaded winter.
Top 5 reasons I am stressed out today:
1. My son and I meet his kindergarten teacher tomorrow. He first real teacher. The one that will probably stay in his mind forever. She sounded lovely on the phone and I hope he likes her! I hope she likes us, too.
2. I'm flying out of the country alone with my two children tomorrow. Am not quite sure how that's going to work out. Like, what if I have to go to the bathroom? Oh, good times! (One of my good friends suggested I go on Ativan. She told me it would relax me and calm me down and it sounds lovely to me but no, I'm not taking drugs a day before I go on vacation!)
3. We only have one portable DVD player for our trip.
4. I'm not finished packing yet. This could mean major problems.
5. I need to find new jeans today to wear for tomorrow. Jean shopping under pressure. Never fun.
Top 5 reasons I'm excited today:
1. I'm meeting my son's teacher tomorrow morning! I can't wait for him to walk into his new school, meet his teacher, see his classroom and begin school next week. I love school! (At the same time, I'm still very emotional about this.)
2. I'm going to one of my most favourite cities ever! I have not been to D.C. in 5 years. I consider it my second home since I lived there temporarily. I can't wait to show my children the beautiful sights and muesums, and to see our family, too.
3. The shopping. I am determined to get some shopping done at some point on this trip. I love the shopping in D.C.!
4. Getting my highlights done today! Nothing like fresh highlights to make you feel ready to take on a solo flight with kids in which you're guaranteed to have apple juice, cream cheese, chocolate and Goldfish crackers rubbed on, in, and all over your hair and clothes.
5. I might be meeting the fabulous Jill from Scary Mommy! Isn't that just awesome?