Monday, September 14, 2009

Success!



I can't believe what I am going to tell you all - but Christos's first day of kindergarten was absolute perfection!

I am still in shock, I think, at how well he did today. He woke up, ate a great big breakfast consisting of 2 scambled eggs, toast, Honey Nut Cheerios, milk and a glass or orange juice (seriously).

He got dressed easily, and had his backpack on before we were even ready to leave. On the drive to school, he talked to me about the fact that I was going to leave him there:

"So, you're going to leave me at school. But you'll be back."

"Exactly, sweetie. I'll be back before you know it, and you'll do great - you'll love it so much, and you have a great teacher, and you probably won't even want to leave!"

"So when you leave me at school, you're just going to go buy some soap, right? You're just going to go buy some soap for the dishwasher, and then come pick me up?"


I melted.

"Yup! That's all I am going to do! Something boring like go buy soap. Then I'll be back to get you!"

We arrived at the school and Christos happily got out of the car. I carried Dimitry, and we walked to the kindergarten section, where his teacher greeted us. After a few minutes, it was time for him to go in. And that was it. I kissed him, told him I loved him and I told him I'd see him soon. He held his teachers hand, and off he went, without even looking back. Just like that. My boy had entered the school system, and was about to embark on his first day of school.

Sigh.

I, on the other hand, started crying my head off at that moment. He didn't see me, thankfully, but I was crying. Another mom came over to talk to me, and told me what a wonderful teacher my son was going to have this year - her daughter had just started grade 1 at that school and had this teacher last year and the year before. It was nice to hear.

Then it was time to take Dimitry to nursery school with my grandmother.



We're still staying with him, because I can't bear to leave him alone yet - he's so small and my heart is breaking enough already this week! But I must say, Dimitry is my social butterfly of a child - and he is loving nursery school! He started playing right away, and is enjoying it very much. (He's gone two times already).

I left and went back to wait at my son's school. I was there 30 minutes early, but I didn't mind.

Then Christos came out, and the smile he had on his face when he saw me is a smile I will never, ever forget. It was a great day for him. He loved it, and he looks forward to going back again tomorrow.

Can you say success? And now, a big sigh of relief!

Note: Yes, I do realize I'm probably the only mother who sent her children to school in crocs. I can't help it. They are the easiest shoes, ever. Also, for the record, Christos had a pair of brand new Lacoste running shoes to change into at school, so there. And tomorrow, Dimitry will wear his, too.

19 comments:

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Aww....that's great Loukia! He looks so happy! Congrats to both of you. :-)

(By the way, I agree with you regarding Crocs. They are not my favorite look, but they are so great for little kids! Especially in dirt, sand, etc. Love that I can hose them off. That makes them totally worth the unfashionableness, in my opinion!)

melissa said...

yay for smooth transitions!! may this continue throughout his entire school career!!
xo

Lady Mama said...

Hurray! So glad it went well Loukia. Your boys, seriously - SO cute.

2 Little Irish Boys said...

Oh, Loukia! I sighed a sigh of relief (and cried) when I read this. I am so happy everything went perfect.
I love his comment about what your plans were--I do the same thing. This weekend me and my husband went to Atlanta. We told Cash were we just going to check out fun things for kiddos and we would take him next time. :)

Shana said...

yay!!! so glad to hear this! i knew he'd do great!

Jenn@ The Crazies said...

So glad they had good days!!! I know its rough.. but it gets way easier..A few years and you will be bootin' them out the door.. Just kiddin!

Scary Mommy said...

Wow!! I'm so relieved for you both. Go, Christos!!!

(And mine are still in Crocs too. Whatever.)

Gina said...

Whats wrong with crocs to school?

Mommy Lisa said...

My Boo Boo La La wears Crocs or Emu's to daycare and now school. I had no idea she really did not have tennis shoes until about four days before her first soccer practice.... ;)

anya said...

Congratulations to both of you! I love this post. Print it out and put in a keepsake school book of memories for him.

Lesley said...

Congrats on a great first day!...

Chantal said...

I am glad to hear it all went really well Loukia. M's day went really well too (thankfully). He had nothing but good things to say when I picked him up. Phew.

Christos looks adorable, and crocs are fine as long as the school is okay with them. When M was in day care they had a no-crocs rule (which sucked).

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

I'm so glad he loved it!!! A toast to a great school year for everyone!

Loukia said...

Thanks everyeone!!! This is such a huge deal for us! :)

Elaine A. said...

I'm glad to hear that it went so well! And you did great too Mommy!

Theta Mom said...

I knew it!!! AWESOME! SO glad he liked it and that you survived. ;)

Rebecca said...

yay! it's great that he had such a good time, what a relief - it's weird not knowing what they are donig right? I am going to have a hard time getting used to that!

glad he did so well...

The Things We Carried said...

Handsome man!

mommymaria said...

I'm going to steal your babies!!! Those cheeks are MINE!

So glad things went well with those adorable little men. I'm sure its a huge weight off your shoulders.

Bravo boys!!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs