Skip to main content

Changes

In September, before my son started kindergarten, I panicked about how he would do in the classroom. I was nervous for him, especially because he was extremely shy with other people, because he was stubborn, because he had never gone to daycare or pre-school, and because, well, he would be on his own for the very first time.

Now it is almost December, and the changes I see in him take my breath away. He spends a good part of the day, when he is home from school, singing not only the Canadian national anthem, but the Greek anthem, as well. He speaks so well for his age - and understands three different languages! The amount of words he speaks in French increase daily, and I think, at the rate he's going, he'll be able to teach me a thing or two by next year!

He has grown in many ways, not only in terms of his vocabulary, or in his ability to draw better (stick men! snowmen! squares!) write letters, numbers, and his name, but also in the way he acts around other people.

That is the most profound change of all.

My once very shy boy is now very social with other people. It used to take him some time warming up to others, but now, he talks to and plays with other children he's just met right away. He doesn't cling to me anymore - he runs off to play, laughing, sure of himself, talking. This makes my heart swell with pride, and I am thankful - thankful to the great school he goes to, and to his patient and kind teacher.

The other day, a boy older than my youngest son threw a train at him in the bookstore, making him cry. I picked up Dimitry, walking away, and then noticed Christos going up to the child, saying:

"You're not suppose to throw things at other people, okay? That's not nice."

To see that he was sticking up for his baby brother made me so happy!

It's amazing what school can do to a child. It's amazing to see him growing, everyday.

Thank goodness for wonderful teachers - especially kindergarten teachers! Their job might be almost as hard as the job of 'mom'!

Comments

Scary Mommy said…
It's amazing the changes they go through so quickly! And kindergarten teachers? Angels. I could never, EVER do it.
Pres. Kathy said…
I taught Kindergarten for one year and it definetely was hard but absolutely AMAZING!!!! I can imagine all the feeling of seeing your children growing up so fast. I know that I see Niko now and I can't believe that he is communicating with us so much more each day. If only he knew how to sit in a chair! Have a great day.
Christy said…
Thank you for this post. My 2 year old (3 next Tuesday) starts school next year (at only 3 1/2!) and I'm already worried about my baby starting. Reading your post is going to make my worry level go down a notch, thank you for writing it!
Stephanie said…
They really do change before our very eyes....sigh. Too fast!
BeachMama said…
Makes you realize how much we stress for the kids going to school and they are just fine, thriving even. How wonderful for you.
I do think the right environment and the right teachers can make a huge difference. A good experience can result in the wonderful changes you have seen in your son (Yay!) and a bad experience can result in the exact opposite. So glad you've found a space that works for your little guy (as have we for our kids).
Marinka said…
That is just wonderful. I'm glad that school has been so great for him! And awesome that he's sticking up for his brother.
Lady Mama said…
Absolutely - good teachers are SO important. And your son is such a bright little spark - and how sweet of him to say something to that kid. No wonder you're such a proud mama!
Chantal said…
I am glad things are going so well for him! YAY!
becca said…
It really is amazing how much school can change a child. My 18mo son hasn't started school yet but I'm hoping to send him to a 2s program next year to get him "socialized".

I can't imagine how proud you must have been of your older son to see him so protective and mature at the bookstore. So sweet.
It is pretty amazing watching children change after they enter school. They grow in more than just book smarts and it's a wonerful thing to witness!
Cynthia said…
I so know what you mean. Miss Peach is growing sooo much in school. I love seeing her and The Little Man acting as a team. Too cute!
Good teachers make all the difference. My daughter went from crying every day at preschool to being disappointed on the weekend when there's no school, just because of a new school and teacher (Pre-K.) I'm floored by some of the things she has learned. Things I always wondered how I would teach her, but now she knows.
Shana said…
This wonderful to hear! So glad he is having a wonderful year! My son is enjoying Kindergraten too! Sorry I don't get to comment as much as I used to, but I still read your blog!!!
Jessica said…
ps... I did your meme today :) Thanks again!
Jessica said…
I was wondering how he had been doing! I know you were so nervous at first. This is spectacular... what a big boy! It's the most beautiful thing in the world watching our your baby come into his own. I'm so happy for all of you- he sound like such a nice, sweet, smart boy!
It's it crazy how much they can grow and change in such a short time? Sounds like he is really blossoming (can I say that about a boy, or is there another word?).
I think this is true on all levels. The early years of school are so wonderful for kids. My oldest is in a public school setting five days a week since he attends special preschool. I've always thought of the special needs focus as being the source of his progress - but this made me reconsider that. I think it's also just the atmosphere of being around other children - of many ages. It's their first real introduction to the world outside of mommy and daddy land. They have to learn how to adapt to that world, and eventually, they all do.

I WILL say that I fear the bullying and the nastiness that can take place on the playground. The statement that "children can be so cruel," is far more true than it is trite. I've heard good things about kids being more in tune to and understanding of special needs kids' quirks...but I have far too many memories about how the "weird" kids in elementary school were treated.

Sounds like your boy has the makings of a recess hero - standing up to those bullies. I love how he stuck up for his little brother.
CaraBee said…
I can't help but think that being a kindergarten teacher must be the most rewarding and the most frustrating job. Glad Christos is doing so well!
Tracy said…
I hope you dont mind a perfect stranger folowing you. I have come to your site through an unlikley housewife blog.Love what I have read so far
Awww! He stuck up for his little bro? That is the best.
teacakebiscuit said…
Yay! That must be so exciting to see him grow so much. I especially like the bit about him sticking up for his younger brother :)
I agree... I wanted to homeschool my kids but hubby wanted me to give school a try. It has done WONDERS for my kids!

Steph
Jessica said…
This post gives me hope since Hollis is a stay at home kid, too. I don't know if day care is in his future or not, but I worry that he won't make friends or be painfully shy. Christos' story is definitely a happy one so it helps me to relax a little!