Monday, November 2, 2009

Don't say I didn't warn you...

Finally, the month of November is here! That means I can officially start talking about all things festive with abundance without anyone telling me it's too early. Right? I mean, if stores are all decked out in holiday mode, then I am allowed to be festive on my blog too! I promise I won't talk about the holidays everyday for the next few months... just a few posts, okay?

Now, one of the most important things about this time of year - besides decorations and Christmas shopping, of course - those are blog posts all on their own - is the search for the perfect holiday card.





Shopping for the perfect holiday card is something I look forward to every year. This year, along with the tradition card that I will send out to friends, I will also be sending out a limited number of 'picture' cards - you know, the holiday cards with pictures of your children on them? Just because I like to add some variety in what I send out!



What I usually do is go to a few of my favourite stores to see what selection of cards they have. I will pick up a box I love and start walking away to pay for them, confident with my choice, until I notice another box of holiday cards, a box that is calling my name: "Loukia! Pick us! We're much cuter!" I pick up that box, and am happy that I have finally found the 'perfect' box of cards to mail out to everyone. But then... I see another box I love. And another box. And I start getting a little stressed out and I just stand there for about 20 minutes looking at penguins and Christmas trees and Santas and mittens and sparkles and candy cane and ornaments and all of a sudden, that festive mood I was in turns more like 'Bah-Humbug' until I finally settle on a box I love. I try not to look back, because to question my decision now would be no good at all.



For the record, I have used my mother's cards many times before. I love her artwork, and I think her cards are always awesome at this time of year, especially because proceeds from her cards go to the Children's Wish Foundation and to UNICEF, among other charities.



Lately, though, I'm totally into Christmas trees. Which is what the cards I ended up with have on them this year!

And yes, I did buy my cards yesterday. Now, the other time consuming part is getting all my addressess together. Seems every year there are more and more people to send cards out to, but I'm not complaining. Oh, no. I LOVE sending out Christmas cards just as much as I love to receive them. And the one thing I don't like to hear is this: "But I just didn't have time to send out any cards..." Oh, no. If I can do it - a full-time working mother of two young and active boys, then YOU certainly can, too. I'm also used to getting less than 5 hours of sleep a night, too, but I digress...

For goodness sakes, we all have time to find, address, and send out holiday cards. And I'm here to tell you that even though it is only the second of November, if you start early - you will not have to worry about running out of time to send out your cards! Also, I'd really appreciate receiving my cards by December 20th, at the latest, so they can all be displayed nicely on my fireplace mantle in time for my Christmas party, okay? Thank you.

Now, what are you waiting for? I know there is a store out there calling your name... just waiting for you to pick out that perfect box of holiday cards. And I'm just an email away if you need my address. This year, let's all vow to send out our cards on time! It's the... festive thing to do!

29 comments:

Mommy Lisa said...

My cards are always ordered by Halloween and are addressed and sent out by Dec. 1. We got them on Halloween this year...so I am about a week ahead of my game.

Amy said...

I'm either really good about this - all ready to drop in the mail Dec. 1, or I'm HORRIBLE - mailing them on the 23rd.

This is actually a good reminder!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lou, you will be very proud...my addresses are already organized and my cards are coming by mid-November so I should meet your deadline...xoxo

Mercy said...

Thanks for the reminder. I have to mail mine early because for some reason, it takes them a month to make it from India to North America, which is where I send all my cards.

Theta Mom said...

I tend to like using photo cards of the kids. I send a lot to our family overseas and they love to get a photo of the kids...and I already took the picture, uploaded it, chose the card and they are already sitting in my home. I did it before Halloween. Am I a total dork or what? Never too early in my book!

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

I'm determined to send cards this year. I have been guilty of letting them slide in the past. Not this time!!! Now just trying to get the perfect photo.

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

I do the same thing - plain cards for friends, neigbours, coworkers etc, and photo cards for family and close friends. I always send out a TON of cards. I think its really the only time of year where people will still appreciate snail mail, so I try to take full advantage. I know that I LOVE to receive Xmas cards, so I really look forward to it!! (p.s. don't forget to send me one).

twinmomplusone said...

oh I love Xmas cards, sending and receiving them. Its a small token of appreciation for all the importatnt people in my life.

Mine have been bought for months, I've taken numeraous pics of teh kids, just need to choose one, assemlbe and send :)

Chrissy MacCEO said...

For starters it is NOT too soon to start holiday chit-chat!! I am SO excited for the holidays and have already begun planning for this season!

Like you, I like to have my holiday cards done early. The past few years, I've ordered standard photo cards from shutterfly.com - they are cute, but so generic this year.

I think I may pick out a cute card this year, and add a simple 4x6 photo of the kids in them - that way, family & friends can save the photo for their albums, etc.

Tiaras said...

I'm on the lookout now - MUST take the most perfect photo of my children!!!!!!

Chantal said...

I totally need to get my act in gear early this year. Thanks for the reminder.

Krystyn said...

How cool that your mom does cards.

Wow! You've got yours already? I design and do cards and I still haven't done ours yet!

2 Little Irish Boys said...

I make a point to have my cards out the day after Thanksgiving. I think (me included) people enjoy the first cards they get and the ones that come later get lost in the shuffle.
I certaintly don't want my card to get lost in the shuffle:)

Wendy@RuensOnTheRun said...

Cute post - made me smile! I too have a tough time making the decision on which cards are the best....and I love my cards (that we receive) as holiday decor too!

Anonymous said...

How about making your cards next year?

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/

Be sure you look under Gallery - Stampin Up! Look under C for Christmas samples.

Check this out! It's only a couple more steps than what you are already doing!

BeachMama said...

I love cards too! How festive Loukia.

Do you guys do an Advent Calendar too?

Chelle said...

I am SO excited that it's November!! I love the Christmas card hunt...so fun!!

Loukia said...

Anna - yes! The boys always do an advent calendar, either Playmobil or Lego, but I always get them a chocolate one, too, one each... I think chocolate advent calendars are the most fun!

Smart A$$ Mom said...

I started the holiday card photo/card search in September. I am not committed on a photo, had a card ordered but got totally off the track when I saw the cutest, I mean, THE CUTEST card at TARGET. Preboxed and ready to go....

CaraBee said...

The last several years, I have made our cards. They came out pretty well, if I do say so myself. I like to incorporate our daughter's picture into the card. Unfortunately, inspiration isn't especially reliable and sometimes it takes until mid December before I really get going. I'm stewing up some ideas now, though, so hopefully, I'll get them out by the first of December.

Yukari said...

I'm like you Loukia!I love buying pretty cards-usually buy 8-9 different boxes...I start writing them around end of October. I usually put some cute stickers and our photos from the year(I print them on sticker sheet)..fun!

Nap Warden said...

I am the WORST at sending out cards...truly...it's sad:(

Lady Mama said...

I love shopping for Christmas cards too! I've already started looking but haven't found the perfect ones yet. I love the idea of including a photo card inside the card. We're having family pictures done in a few weeks, so I will probably include those with my cards. Great idea.

Amy said...

I clicked over from my reader, half expecting to find your blog re-designed in shades of red and green!

We've been married 9 1/2 years and have NEVER done Christmas cards. Hopefully this year will be the year.

Christine said...

I am so excited to read everyone's various holiday blogs this year! Love this time of year. I make my own cards which is a huge project every November but I do it with friends and I just enjoy the time with them and sending out a little piece of my time to my friends and family. (Okay I know that sounds all Martha Stewartish, but it's a creative outlet).

Rebecca said...

I am getting photo cards done by www.graceannouncements.com Can't wait to see how they turn out!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Oh - I bought mine early too. And I got the kind with window for pictures of the kids. As if I ever get a decent picture of all three together....looking festive no less!

Flat out hubris I tell you!

Lisa said...

I think I may be the real life Grinch! Though I love Christmas, I haven't sent out cards in years. We have a very small family and we call each other on Christmas instead, if we're not actually together. I know, I know, Santa's bringing me a lump of coal! What do you do with all of the cards people send you? I feel AWFUL throwing them out (especially the photo cards) but I really don't want to hang onto them. Bah humbug right? Yes, I am the Grinch. :(

Pres. Kathy said...

Hey Loukia - I just found your blog and I am really enjoying it! :-) What I have done for the last two years was write a Christmas card and put a picture of my little guy inside. We just moved to a new house, so this year I am only sending out a photo card since it is easier for me. My husband is a priest and we send close to 200 cards. I have alreadt started to address the envelopes and they should be mailed out by December 1st. yeah!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs