Sunday, November 22, 2009

Moms fight the flu!

One of the worst parts about motherhood is having to look after a sick child - the lack of sleep, the endless hours, the worry, the fear - it's pretty dreadful. We feel terrible for our children when they are suffering from a high fever, a runny nose, a bad cough and a decreased appetite.

I've talked about the flu before, here and here.

I've actually lost sleep over H1N1, and it has made me even more worried than usual.

The reason I worry more than usual is because last year, my then 3 year old got very sick - he got a severe case of pneumonia, and was in the children's hospital for two weeks. His case was especially bad and he needed surgery to drain fluid from his lung. He had a chest tube in him for 4 days, was on an oxygen mask, and an IV, of course. That was a nightmare that I'll never get over, ever. I've seen a child that sick, and I never want to see it again. So I think it's especially important to do whatever we can to protect our children, to try our best to keep them healthy in any way possibe.

The most important thing you can do, I think, is to educate yourself about H1N1. Read up on it. Find out what you can do to protect your family and to prevent yourself from getting this flu. Because H1N1 is a pretty serious flu.

My children, my husband, and myself all got the H1N1 vaccine. I did have some difficulty with this decision, at first - I talked to a few trusted doctors, read up on the vaccine, and finally decided it was in our best interest to get the shot.

If you want to find out information about flu clinics, go here.

If you think your child has the flu, check out this influenza assessment tool at The Ministry of Health - you can find tips on what to do if you think your child has the flu and if you should ride it out at home, or seek medical attention.

Even more useful information can be found here.

Note: I wrote this post while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central and received a Mom Central gift pack to thank me for taking the time to participate.

6 comments:

Christine said...

Well said Loukia!

Lindsey said...

I totally agree! Its a scary sickness. I actually just got done posting about the head cold my daughter has and now I am so thankful that its not the H1N1. A regular cold seems like nothing compared to the flu!

T Rex Mom said...

I've found that often when people do not get the flu shot it's because they or someone they know has not ever actually had a true case of the flu. Because if they had, they would get vaccinated.

The last time I had the flu I was hospitalized for two days. It's rough and not just some "24 hour bug" you get over in a couple days.

I'm a nurse so I'm really big into health promotion and immunizations. Thank you for encouraging others to get their H1N1 vaccines. All of us in our family have had ours.

Chantal said...

I am doing the blog tour as well! I am in good company. Post will be up later today.

TKW said...

I think we all struggle with stuff like this. You did what was right for your family, and you educated yourself before you acted. Nobody should be able to criticize your decision. Good for you.

Lady Mama said...

I can't imagine what it must have been like for you when your son was sick last year. I completely understand wanting to be educated about H1N1 - you're smart to do so. Thanks for all the useful info you've given here!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs