Tuesday, November 24, 2009

You don't have to love Twilight to love this post!

I read Wuthering Heights when I was 15, in England, so I could get more of a 'feel' for the story and the characters. No, I didn't plan a trip to England around the fact that I was reading this book, it just happened that way. (Funny how this book is referenced in the Twilight Saga, too!)

I read To Kill A Mockingbird in Grade 9, and it is still one of my favourite books, along with A Prayer for Owen Meany, The Kite Runner, The Alchemist and The History of Love. I love reading. Usually quality literature. And yet. I am not ashamed to admit that I'm a Twilight Saga obsessed 33 year old mom of two.

There. It feels so good to get that off my chest. Oh, wait - you already knew that, right? I promise, this obsession will go away soon. I think?

I decided to ask one of the funniest bloggers I know Marinka, a few questions about this 'obsession' everyone has been bitten with lately. (To all my Twilight haters: this is for you, okay?)

Her comments about Twilight always make me laugh, even though I personally have nothing bad to say about the books or movies. (Have I mentioned just how much I loved New Moon? It was excellent! And oh, my God? When Eclipse comes out in June, I'm going to do a major happy dance! How awesome will that be? Especially the tent scene?!)

Anyway, Marinka kindly agreed to a Q's and A's about Twilight, giving us a sneak peek into her views about the Twilight Saga.

Marinka, tell me, how do you feel about the whole Twilight Saga phenomenon?

I am a big fan of anything that gets people to read. And I, myself, read two and half of the Twilight books. But then, my lobotomy was reversed and I couldn't take one more soul-draining page. My 11 year old daughter is a fan, though.

Do you think the moms who are obsessed are a little... crazy?

No, not a little. More than a little.

What do you think it is about the series that has people so addicted?

I'm not a mental health professional, although I think that asking these questions is the first step towards getting the necessary help. Overall, I think that the story is very approachable (no big words!), the plot is pretty straightforward (so if you fall into an alcoholic stupor for fifty or so pages, you won't miss too much!) and some people have mentioned that Edward is "hot". Personally I don't see it, but I prefer my men without make up. And with deodorant.

Did I lose my street cred with you when I openly admitted my obsession and the fact that I've lost sleep staying up far too late reading the books, or the fact that I went to the movies 2 hours early to make sure I had great seats for New Moon?

You lost street cred with me by using the expression "street cred". Some of my best friends love Twilight, so no need to worry. Except that's a total lie and none of my friends, best or otherwise, like that book. My daughter does, though. Or did last year. When she was 10.

Of course, I need to know: Are you Team Edward, or Team Jacob? And why?

I'm Team Mike. Because I like humans. I know, I know, so closed-minded. In Twilight, I liked Jacob. Because Edward was glistening all over the place and it was super irritating to me. But then I saw the movie and I didn't find Jacob attractive at all. Now in New Moon, (spoiler alert!) Jacob is a dog. Personally, I disapprove of inter-species dating.

Is it normal for a 33 year old to relate to a 17 year old and suddenly like vampires?

This is such a slippery slope. I think you like vampires because you think that Edward is hot. If you really and truly love vampires, you should put pictures of Bela Lugosi all over the place.

What's the one thing that bothers you about this 'obsession' everyone has right now?

The fact that everyone has it. This is the mindset that elected Bush twice and got us into two wars. But I'm trying not to blame everything on Twilight.

I love Marinka's humour, don't you? And see? I can laugh at my obsession! Oh, and if you want to read a really funny post about a mom's love for Twilight, you have to read this written by the lovely and always hilarious Barefoot Foodie!

16 comments:

Marinka said...

Thanks for letting me make fun of Twilight. And the women who love it.

The History of Love is one of my favorite books!

Brittany said...

OMG I love you!

And also, MARINKA...vampires don't need deoderant. Duh.

greek4cheerful said...

I am one of the crazies that loves the twilight saga, books not movies- (like that matters right).. Still I find this post funny. I've been made fun of for months by my husband about twilight so I'm use to it!

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

While I love Twilight and all things Edward, I can poke fun, too.
I forget where I read it, but someone asked why the hell Bella would want to spend eternity with the most boring family on the planet. I can't help but agree a little bit. What happens when she's bored? They certainly aren't going to be cracking jokes. When she's cold? Not going to help there. When the sun is in her eyes? Nope - Captain Sparkles will be there adding to the glare.
Oh, and the obsession never really goes away...you just learn to live with it!

Loukia said...

Oh, my husband is totally making fun of me, too... and it's so hard to argue with him about it, because, well, what can I say to make it sound okay to be okay with the fact that I have no problem with a relationship between a wolf-boy and a girl? ;)

Nenette AM said...

Oh, girlfriend, the obsession doesn't go away completely. It comes and goes in waves. At least, mine has. Mine started last year, around the Fall, I think, when I lost a week's worth of sleep reading all 4 books a couple of times.
It started to calm around January. Then it started to pick up again in the Spring, when I read the 4 books 3 more (I think) times. Then it died off again in the late summer. It's at a low simmer right now... because I'm annoyed by the EXTREME crazies going to watch New Moon around here right now. I plan to watch it in another week or so, when the EXTREME crazies have seen it the requisite 4 times.

BTW, I don't consider us (a couple of hot moms at the tender young ages of 33 and 40, with healthy libidos, who know to appreciate a cute guy when we see one) EXTREME crazies. Of course.

BTW2, I'm totally Team Edward... but I think I may have said that already in the past.

BTW3, I love Marinka. :)

Pres. Kathy said...

This post put a smile on my face!

Jenn@ The Crazies said...

This was great! I, personally, adore Vamps but I always have... not just Twilight but I LOVED her comment on inter-species dating and Jacob being a Dog! Ok now, off to see New Moon again!! LOL

Scary Mommy said...

Oh, a post on Twilight that even I can appreciate! Perfection. :)

Julie said...

i confessed my obsession last year when twilight came out. went and saw new moon yesterday. did anyone come out of there feeling a little dirty? i can't be team jacob! the guys only 17! at leas tin real life the guy that plays edward is in his 30s. the guy who plays jacob is 17! ew! i could have mothered him! yep, feeling a little dirty.

Lady Mama said...

Ha. This made me laugh! But Marinka has confirmed my worst fears about the Twilight books.

Now, To Kill A Mockingbird - there's a book I can curl up with.

Sarah said...

Loukia, you know I am reading the series and trying *really* hard to understand the hype (well, maybe not *really* hard). I just finished Eclipse and I still don't get it.

I have a practical question, though. Does Bella never menstruate? Wouldn't that be, um, problematic? I mean a papercut set Jasper off!

anymommy said...

I resisted the books forever and I have to admit I liked them when I finally caved.

I don't even try to resist Marinka, she's hilarious.

Jessica said...

HA! This was great. LOVE THIS. She's hysterical! Great questions too. Super fun to read. I have no opinion as I haven't read the books. :)

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Ha ha! Hilarious! I'm not a Twilight lover (never read one of the books or seen one of the movies) and I've always been a little mystified at the whole obsession. Sounds like Marinka has it all figured out. ;-)

Heather, Queen of Shake Shake said...

I don't like Twilight. I think this promotes me to Marinka's BFF.

Blog Designed by: NW Designs