Friday, January 22, 2010

Hope and prayers

As I sit her watching the Hope For Haiti Now telethon in the comfort of my safe 2-story home, with my children sleeping soundly upstairs, my tears are flowing freely.

I am a very emotional person, and ever since I became a mom, I am even more emotional. Especially about children - I can't bear the thought of any child in the world suffering. It breaks my heart, it haunts me, it keeps me up at night. The earthquake that recenlty happened in Haiti took the lives of hundreds of thousands of people. Thousands of children are now orphans, left alone, scared, without a mommy or a daddy to hold them, to hug them, to rock them to sleep.

This to me is the greatest tragedy of all - that along with the fact that parents have lost children, too many children, in this devestating earthquake.

It is too much - if you let yourself feel, it is too much. Donating money is all I can do, and sadly, that does not feel like a lot at all. I wish I could transport myself to this nation right now, so I can pick up a child, or two, or more, and hug them, feed them, provide for them, make them feel safe again.

The thought of adopting a baby from Haiti has entered my mind, more seriously tonight than every before. The thought of adopting a child from another country has been a thought of mine before, too - after I watched a special on an orphanage in Romania that nearly broke my heart.

I want nothing more than for every child who is suffering right now to be reunited with a loved one again, or to be adopted by loving parents, and to live in a warm, safe home. I want every child to be filled with love again, and laughter. To go to school, to reach their full potential.

Tonight, as I sit here watching the video footage from the tragedy in Haiti, seeing children being rescued from crumbled buildings, seeing families reunited, seeing babies sleeping side by side on crib mattresses outside, with no roof over their heads, I am overcome with sadness and a feeling of utter hopelessness - but at the same time, I'm thankful for the people - the volunteers - who are in Haiti right now, on the ground, helping those who are suffering.

I'm thankful organizations like UNICEF and SOS Children's Villages and Doctors Without Borders and of course, Red Cross exist - because of these amazing organizations and volunteers, so many lives have been saved, so many more will be saved, and children will be fed.

I know we have all done what we can, financially, to help the people of Haiti.

I hope I always remember how I feel tonight on days when I think I'm having a rough day, on days I complain about being tired. I'm so lucky to live where I do, to have all that I have, to be blessed with my boys and a roof over my head, and to have access to medication and clean water. I will continue to keep the children and everyone in Haiti in my prayers for a very long time.

I hope you will do the same.

15 comments:

Crystal D said...

I read this tonight...
http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pittsburgh-Magazine/January-2009/Love-and-Haiti/
and my heart nearly broke thinking about those poor babies living such a hard life.

sunshinekeddie said...

You're so right. I'm the same, I've always been emotional, but since having my 3 babies, I'm even more so. It breaks my heart to think of those babies in Haiti without parents, or those parents going through the worst hell imaginable, losing a child. I can't even begin to imagine what they're experiencing, because like you, I'm safe in my home, and my children are sleeping without fear. I will keep Haiti in my heart, and just wish there was more I could do to help.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

You hit the nail on the head, LouLou. We can do what we can, and then stretch ourselves a bit further. Everyone doing some of that will make a difference.

Kate Collings said...

Louika you have hit the nail on the head with your post. We should all take time out and be more thankful for what we have. This monrning I woke up and felt a little down and I am ashamed of myself because you are right, there are deffinately more important things to focus on in the world.

I wish I too could help the people who are suffering in Haiti. I too would want to be there rather than just sending money, even though I know it will help.

I have donated clothes and toys to several local charity's lately which I know will do their best to help those in need at home and away. I hope that these children find love and hope with new families in the very near future.

xx

Marinka said...

What a wonderful post. My heart breaks for Haiti.

amotherworld said...

We are lucky to live in an amazing country like Canada. Whatever we can do to help those in need locally and internationally, especially in the wake of tragedy, is our duty as human beings.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

It's the children that break my heart the most - and yes, I've had many a rescue fantasy over the years...

If you ever do really think to adopt an older child from another country - talk to Stacey/Anymommy. She has so much knowledge to share and it was a post on this subject that first caught my attention and made me a loyal reader - so complicated for all of the love and good intentions.... But of course I understood the point you were making. We all wish we could do more - ranging from more money to donate to taking a child into our own safe homes. You have a kind soul Loukia.

ModernMom said...

I'm with you. Heartbreaking. Prayers for Haiti...

Lady Mama said...

Beautifully articulated! What you've said here echoes my feelings too. I'm so disturbed by what's happening I often can't bring myself to watch the news. You really hit the nail on the head when you described the sadness and hopelessness. As you said, all we can do is donate money. And, yes, whenever I think I'm having a bad day, I think about how lucky I am.

hoobingfamilyadventures.com said...

I have been an emotional wreck every time I watch something on Haiti! The situation there is so sad. I wish there was more we could do besides giving money!

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

God Bless Haiti.

Alyssa said...

There's nothing further to add that hasn't already been said. Thank you for a very well-done important post.

Muthering Heights said...

I feel the same way...I just want to scoop the precious little ones up and take them home!!

EatPlayLove said...

I feel exactly the same way. It makes me want to foster a child tomorrow and adopt another next week. I may not have a ton of money but I certainly have tons of love to give.

Krystyn said...

I had to turn it off...too many tears (on my part). What's really sad is this area of the world is already poor and in bad shape.

Blog Designed by: NW Designs