Monday, January 25, 2010

Interview with a fashionista!

You know those moms who always look perfect and seem to have it all together? Right down to their children's bedtime routines? I don't know many people like that, but there is one mom of 4 who is very active in the blogosphere - her name is Audrey and she is totally that mom!


Audrey is a mom of 4 boys - all under the age of 5 - and she is the founder of Mom Generations. Audrey was recently named one of the most powerful moms on the internet, listed in "The Power Pack" by Nielson Online. She's also been on the Rachel Ray Show, featured in Woman's World and Pregnancy magazine, and is the creator of '365 Days of Fashion Advice for Moms'.

Audrey was recently at the People's Choice Awards, too, mingling with some pretty awesome celebrities!

A mom of all boys who loves to shop and a woman who provides fashion advice every day of year? What's not to love?

Here's my interview with this fabulous mom!

Audrey, I read on your blog that you've been known to find a pair of Manolo Blahniks for $50. Please, share your secret with me!

Yes! This was my biggest score ever! Every summer I go to an event in the Hamptons called Super Saturday. It is hosted by Donna Karan and Instyle magazine... and essentially it's a HUGE designer garage sale. Designers sell their merchandise at amazing discounts, and the best part - 100% of the proceeds go to the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund. I just love the cause and think it's an amazing way to raise money and awareness. So... the Manolos were from that very sale! Yes, $50!

You co-wrote Preconception Plain and Simple - A Deliciously Smart and Sey Guide in Preparing for Pregnancy - what is the one piece of advice you would give to a pregnant woman?

My one piece of advice is to relax and let it happen. That was the reasoning behind writing the book. When you're trying to get pregnant you get very focused on getting pregnant. When I was trying for my first son, it's all I thought about. I was enjoying the process or relaxing. So I started researching fertility rites from ancient times, all the way through modern day. The one underlying theme was relax... and enjoy. It was tough to change my way of thinking, but through the process of writing the book - I learned about foods that increased fertility, aromas that increased fertility... tons of things! All of a sudden the process became FUN! I was relaxed and enjoying it... that's my advice.

Your '365 Days of Fashion Advice for Moms' is a huge hit, where you offer one piece of fashion or beauty advice daily on your blog - what are your top 5 pieces of fashion advice you'd give a mom?

1. Know what colors best look good on you.

2. Own one pair of jeans that fit you like a glove.

3. Make sure you own classic pieces - blazer, LBD, button down blouse - not just trendy pieces.

4. Own a sweater wrap!

5. When in doubt, monochromatic styles are always a safe bet - my advice, all black clothing works for everyone.

What do you think are the important items to spluge on? For me, it's all about designer handbags and sunglasses - they complete an outfit! As well as a great pair of comfy flats - I adore my Coach and Tory Burch flats!

You know, I agree 100%. I always have splurged on handbags and shoes. They are pieces that you can wear year after year after year. A fabulous black handbag never goes out of style. A spectacular pair of black heels don't either. I invested in a Louis Vuitton Now bag a couple of years ago. Best investment I've made. Not to mention... on shoes, they are truly the foundation of your outfit. It's what you stand in, walk in... you want to make sure they are high quality and comfortable.

What is your favourite part about being a mom?

When I've been away for the day... or even just to the market... and I walk in through the door and hear 4 boys scream, "Mommy's home!" and dash at me with hugs. There's nothing like that!

How do you keep your patience in a house with 4 boys under the age of 5? Are you a very strict mom?

OMG... this is a tough one, I have to say. I totally cannot sweat the small stuff anymore! My boys are non-stop. I also work from home with no outside help, so it can get challenging. I try to keep my patience by having a sense of humor with it all. I mean, I never thought in a million years I would have 4 boys! That alone has gotten some getting used to... Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Cars... it's so different and so fun from what I knew as a child. I'm not a strict mother, I have to say... the boys totally know they have me wrapped around their finger.

Where is your favourite place in the world to shop? (For me, it's the Bal Harbour Shops... heaven!)

My favorite place in the world to shop is probably J.Crew. I love the classic trendiness that they have going on. I have always been a huge fan of their quality and just those sophisticated looks with a little fun/playful "something-something!"

What's your bedtime routine - for your children?

Bedtime is pretty crazy around here because the boys go to bed at different times (except my older 2). At 7PM, Henry (my 1 1/2 yr old) goes down. He needs his light on and the door cracked a little. My 2 1/2 year old, Benjamin goes down at 7:30PM, he's now in a big boy bed - so it's been an adventure with the ga-billion "Mommy and Daddy!" calling at night. My oldest guys - William and Alexander (5 and 4) go to bed at 8:30PM... we usually read right before they go down (We're into the Magic Treehouse books at the moment).

Do you love being the mom to all boys?

Oh, yes!! I absolutely love it! You know, it's funny. I was a very girly-girl growing up. I always thought I would have a daughter... and there's still time, so you never know! ;) But when I was pregnant with my first, I remember thinking it would be cool to have a son. When I found out I was pregnant with my second baby, who would only be 12 months younger than William, I thought it would be wonderful to have 2 boys close in age. Plus, my husband never had a brother, so I know he really wanted to give that to our oldest son. With my 3rd... I had just suffered a miscarriage before his pregnancy... so to say I just wanted a healthy baby is an understatement. The sex never even entered my mind. When I found out I was pregnant with my 4th... I thought to myself... 4 boys, we have a boy band! ;)

12 comments:

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

Great Interview!

Jessica said...

There's something so precious about a house full of boys! What a great thing to have four! I hope I'm as lucky!

Re: the interview, well done, Lou! And Audrey, my hat's off to you in spades! I don't have a clue how women work from home! Nap times just aren't that long! hahaha

Cheers to you both!

ModernMom said...

Great interview! Such fun:)

Nena said...

What a great interview and I love all your stories about your boys! Keep up the great work.

CaraBee said...

My dad is one of four boys that are 7 years apart from oldest to youngest, so they're pretty tight. It's an amazing bond they share. I can't imagine four boys though, yikes!

Thanks for the fashion tips! Great interview!

Kate Collings said...

Thank you for introducting me to this new and invaluable blog. I have added it to my reel and now following Twitter. Well done xx

confused homemaker said...

Great interview! Boys rock, there are 3 in my gang & they are just great fun. I'm still in awe of the $50 Manalo's, it's like an urban legend but it's true. Oh...I want a pair.

Lady Mama said...

Wow. Audrey is such an inspiration - thanks for introducing me to her blog! 4 boys and she still manages to do all this? Great interview once again my friend!

stilettochicken said...

Love it... really intrigued about the book. As someone who doesn't yet have children, I always worry about fertility and aging and whatnot, and I've seen so many friends just become NEUROTIC over trying to get pregnant and it completely loses any magic that it had. Overall great interview... she's an impressive woman!

Nenette AM said...

I loved this interview! Thanks to both of you awesome ladies for doing it. :)

Angela said...

What a great and fun interview! :)

Reaper said...

wow... powerful interview


these ladies never cease to amaze me.....

Blog Designed by: NW Designs