Skip to main content

Decision making for dummies

Several times a day, I have to make decisions. Yup, decisions. Shocking, isn't it? Do you make decisions, too? Right, then. Continue reading.

Often, I make the wrong decision, or spend too much time thinking about what decision I should make, and then, it is often too late.

Too late to avoid a meltdown from one of my children, too late to avoid hitting yet another concrete column with my car, too late to not buy yet another black sweater.

If I were to write an exam about some decisions I've made in real-life situations, I wonder how you would answer?

If the answer that you would go with is not on the list, please feel free to add your own in the comments section, as I'm sure it will be the correct answer.

1. Your 2 year old just woke up from a deep slumber at 3 a.m. He motions for you to pick him up, and you do, bringing him to your bed like usual, where he'll quickly fall back asleep again. Upon picking him up, you notice his pajama pants are wet, and that his diaper is filled with pee. What would you do?

a) Ask your baby if you can change him quickly, only to be told 'no, after, after.'

b) Stare at your child for 15 minutes deciding what to do. (I should just change him. No, he'll cry. I should, though. No, he'll wake up his brother with his screams. But really... his diaper looks so heavy! But what if I change him and it really wakes him up?)

c) Realize that it's almost morning and that the diaper can wait.

d) All of the above.

Loulou's answer: d


2. You struggle to finally change your baby's diaper at 7 a.m., after another failed attempt at 5:30 a.m. He squirms around so much, it is a nearly impossible thing to do. You:

a) Beg and plead and beg and plead with your child, and to God, to stop making this process so painful.

b) Distract him with toys and the television and chocolate.

c) Talk to him about his favourite things and his favourite stories.

d) Decide to change his diaper on your dresser, as he's standing, while he plays with your jewellery, almost losing your necklace behind the dresser, because you have no idea how else to get the job done.

e) All of the above.

Loulou's answer: e


3. You take your children to The Mud Oven, a place where breakable paint-it-yourself ceramics are sold, where people, usually over the age of three, go to paint. You select a 25 dollar bowl for your 2 year old to paint, while your 4 year old is painting a cup. Your 2 year old paints for 5 seconds, and then wants to spill the container of water into the bowl, and then run around the store touching ceramics. What do you do?

a) Say no, chase him around the store, cursing loudly, about why you thought it was a good idea to bring your 2 year old along.


b) Give in, hand him the bowl of water, and watch him spill it over the table. (He's the boss, after all!)

c) Do both.

Loulou's answer: c

This is just a smile sample of the decisions I make on a daily basis. And I wonder why I'm so stressed out all the time!

And yes, I do realize I need a Supernanny intervention.

Comments

Unknown said…
For question #3-

d) Bring your sister along so she can chase the two year old around the store while the 33 yr old mother decides that she as well wants to paint a useless $35 plate. Which is still not finished, but is paid for.
:)
- the sister that doesnt need to paint anything which leaves her free to take care of the two yr old!!!!
Deb said…
-->Go with your initial gut reaction. It's usually the best decision. If it's not, next time, go with your second thought. ;-)

~deb
www.WebSavvyMom.com
Christy said…
I just got an email that supernanny is doing a casting call at our local mall next month. Too bad we're not neighbors or I'd send you! haha! Just kidding!
Lindsay said…
That sounds like a day in my life :) I just laughed out loud. And I laughed at your sister's comment, too!
Your sister's comment sounds sooo like something my sister would say.

I remember (and I know it's coming soon) the times when I had to almost sit on my girls to change their diaper. Grrr...
Chantal said…
Oh the fun! I am not looking forward to the night time changes with an older child. Thankfully i have a little while before that happens.
CaraBee said…
If I had a nickel for every time I've picked d) all of the above, I'd be a rich woman. Sigh. Raising kids is a bitch. But they're awfully darn cute and they give great hugs, sooo, it kind of balances out.
Mine?
D) wake husband and make him deal with it!
Nikosmommy said…
Again, apparently you're living my life!!! Personally I would go no where NEAR The Mud Oven. My boys would destroy it...not because they're little monsters,, but because they are completely incapable of handling an environment where they have to sit 'nice' and not break things. CAN'T BE DONE!
As for the late night diaper change...I am a HUGE FAN of the Huggies Over-Night Super absorbent diapers (in the purple packaging). LOVE THEM! I wish they were around when kid#1 was younger. BUT when my 19 mnth old wakes up (as he always does every night), if his diaper was wet I would change him in his room with as little light on as possible. Not engage in conversation, and get him back into HIS bed ASAP. Of course he screams...but I'm slooowwly trying to teach him to get back to sleep on his own. (and that's why I use an earplug in my right ear...drowned out the most of the crying. Husband and kid #1 sleep like the dead so they don't wake up).
I'm working on more tough love, less mommy being held hostage at 2am for over an hour!
Stephanie said…
Sleep deprivation is always the enemy and the reasoning behind most of my choices. Your answers don't seem that off base to me honey:)
Pres. Kathy said…
This post made me think that we are on the same boat. I am so indecisive when it comes to my little guy. Just earlier he fell asleep in the car. I was thinking should I wake him up because if he sleeps he will go to bed late at night, should be nap on the couch, should I put him upstairs. Oh the problems. Thank God my husband made the decision!! (He is sleeping on the couch!)
Eve said…
The first one, I've done that... yeah. pretty much every night he wakes up. I JUST CAN'T RISK LOOSING MORE SLEEP! You know? ;)
Jummy said…
You're not kidding when you say the kids are the boss, Loulou! I can't imagine asking my child if he or she wants their diaper changed! I'm the parent; it's my job to do what's best for my child, and spending hours soaked in pee doesn't sound like a good idea (also, I wouldn't want a soaking wet kidlet in my bed if I could avoid it!).

And Mud Oven + indulgent mom + rambunctious kids = disaster for me. I guess you know for next time though! I hope Dimitry didn't leave too much of a mess for the store employees to clean up!
Unknown said…
So I guess you won't be taking the little guy back to the pottery place any time soon, huh? Sometimes we have to learn these lessons the hard way. ;)
Anonymous said…
Lauging. Really laughing. Thank you Loukis.
ShannonL said…
Ha ha, too funny! We all go through it. Thanks for sharing! :-)
When I played along....I had the same answers as what you did!!
We mommies are all the same--such suckers for our adorable babies. Sometimes wet diapers aren't so bad and we change them however we can to get it done!
Ha ha! This is hilarious! I love the question format. But your responses totally make sense because really, parenting is just one big exercise in "make-it-through-the-day." Whatever gets you through it is what you gotta do.
BusyDad said…
I find that most days, if I end the task with "then pour a stiff drink" I can't really go wrong. :)