And what was my big revelation, you ask? I was searching within myself, trying to find the one thing I am really good at. I know I'm a good mom to my two adorable children, but besides that, what is the one thing I am so good at I could talk to others about? (In a PG environment, wink-wink.)
That's when I realized the one thing I am great at is shopping. For myself, for my children, and for others. Regardless of what the status of my wallet is, I will shop. I shop blindly, without abandon. This will be the end of me, I tell you. I don't always feel bad, though, because I am helping the economy, and because I am making myself happy. How bad can this addiction be, really? Well, let's not talk about that part. I have been known to hide bags in my car, after all.
Shopping and fashion make me happy. And with spring upon us, there is no better time than NOW to do a clean-sweep of your closet. You know, to make room for all your new spring purchases!
First thing - make sure you dedicate one hour to cleaning out your closet. Make sure, also, that your children are not around you, otherwise - disaster!
Okay, now that you're on your own, in your closet, take everything out. Sort through your items. Make 3 piles. Keep, Donate, Save.
Be realistic. Those size 4 pants you keep telling yourself you're going to fit into? It's been 6 years. Time to move on. Put them in a box, and donate them.
Put anything you haven't worn in a year in a box, and store it. If, after 6 months, you haven't worn anything from that box, donate those items. Now your closet should look cleaner. I like to organize my clothes in sections. Pants, skirts, dresses... shirts, blouses. Fold sweaters. Keep your tank tops and t-shirts in neat piles. Purchase a nice shoe rack. Work with what you have! Hang up your purses nicely. If your cloest looks good, you'll feel better!
And now? Time to go shopping! There really is not a whole lot you need for spring. This is my top ten list of things you should buy for spring:
1. A great pair of flats. You can wear a great pair of flats everyday, and with almost every outfit - with jeans, with capris, with cute little dresses. The best part? You will be comfortable! And you'll look stylish, too. I recently bought a pair of Tory Burch flats, and let me tell you - they are SO comfy, I never want to take them off!
2. Cute t-shirts! I love buying my t-shirts from J.Crew, but I also love to buy t-shirts from Joe - that's right - I often buy $10 t-shirts from the grocery store. You know why? Joe has amazing stuff for amazing prices!
3. Accessories! Really, with a great pair of sunglasses or a great bag, you're good to go! Splurge on items you love - for some people, it's shoes. For me, it's all about the bag and the sunglasses. A little t-shirt, jeans and cute sunglasses and you have my staple outfit on any given day!
4. A comfy dress. A dress you can wear over and over again. Preferably, in a bright colour, like yellow. Don't be afraid of colour - especially when the weather starts to warm up.
5. A trench coat. I love a nice trench coat that can be worn with almost everything in your closet.
6. A nice pair of white pants. In linen.
7. Of course, a LBD. (Little black dress.) If you already have your perfect LBD, good! Keep rockin' it! Change up your accessories, put your hair up, and pair it up with a new pair of shoes!
8. Wedge heels. I LOVE wedge heels - they're comfy, and look great with anything. Especially nice jeans.
9. Tank tops. Banana Republic and Old Navy have great tank tops. I like to wear two at the same time, to show some colour. Pair brown and peach together. Or black and white. Whatever floats your boat. Two tank tops worn at the same time is cute! Or one really nice tank top - like this one... so pretty!
10. An everyday chino - Banana Republic and J.Crew have tons - is another one of my must-have's. Comfortable and flattering - what more could a girl want?
Happy shopping! Remember to mix up what you already own, and to only buy things you're comfortable in. Classic is always best, and quality items last a lifetime.
Also, a bonus #11: Sequins! Sequins are so pretty and a simple shirt with sequins, worn with your favourite pair of jeans makes a great party outfit!