Skip to main content

Spring Fever

It hit me one day, a sudden revelation. It both excited and depressed me at the same time. But, I carried on, and continued doing what I was doing. Any guess as to what I was doing? That's right, I was shopping.

And what was my big revelation, you ask? I was searching within myself, trying to find the one thing I am really good at. I know I'm a good mom to my two adorable children, but besides that, what is the one thing I am so good at I could talk to others about? (In a PG environment, wink-wink.)

That's when I realized the one thing I am great at is shopping. For myself, for my children, and for others. Regardless of what the status of my wallet is, I will shop. I shop blindly, without abandon. This will be the end of me, I tell you. I don't always feel bad, though, because I am helping the economy, and because I am making myself happy. How bad can this addiction be, really? Well, let's not talk about that part. I have been known to hide bags in my car, after all.

Shopping and fashion make me happy. And with spring upon us, there is no better time than NOW to do a clean-sweep of your closet. You know, to make room for all your new spring purchases!

First thing - make sure you dedicate one hour to cleaning out your closet. Make sure, also, that your children are not around you, otherwise - disaster!

Okay, now that you're on your own, in your closet, take everything out. Sort through your items. Make 3 piles. Keep, Donate, Save.

Be realistic. Those size 4 pants you keep telling yourself you're going to fit into? It's been 6 years. Time to move on. Put them in a box, and donate them.

Put anything you haven't worn in a year in a box, and store it. If, after 6 months, you haven't worn anything from that box, donate those items. Now your closet should look cleaner. I like to organize my clothes in sections. Pants, skirts, dresses... shirts, blouses. Fold sweaters. Keep your tank tops and t-shirts in neat piles. Purchase a nice shoe rack. Work with what you have! Hang up your purses nicely. If your cloest looks good, you'll feel better!

And now? Time to go shopping! There really is not a whole lot you need for spring. This is my top ten list of things you should buy for spring:

1. A great pair of flats. You can wear a great pair of flats everyday, and with almost every outfit - with jeans, with capris, with cute little dresses. The best part? You will be comfortable! And you'll look stylish, too. I recently bought a pair of Tory Burch flats, and let me tell you - they are SO comfy, I never want to take them off!




2. Cute t-shirts! I love buying my t-shirts from J.Crew, but I also love to buy t-shirts from Joe - that's right - I often buy $10 t-shirts from the grocery store. You know why? Joe has amazing stuff for amazing prices!



3. Accessories! Really, with a great pair of sunglasses or a great bag, you're good to go! Splurge on items you love - for some people, it's shoes. For me, it's all about the bag and the sunglasses. A little t-shirt, jeans and cute sunglasses and you have my staple outfit on any given day!

4. A comfy dress. A dress you can wear over and over again. Preferably, in a bright colour, like yellow. Don't be afraid of colour - especially when the weather starts to warm up.

5. A trench coat. I love a nice trench coat that can be worn with almost everything in your closet.


6. A nice pair of white pants. In linen.

7. Of course, a LBD. (Little black dress.) If you already have your perfect LBD, good! Keep rockin' it! Change up your accessories, put your hair up, and pair it up with a new pair of shoes!

8. Wedge heels. I LOVE wedge heels - they're comfy, and look great with anything. Especially nice jeans.

9. Tank tops. Banana Republic and Old Navy have great tank tops. I like to wear two at the same time, to show some colour. Pair brown and peach together. Or black and white. Whatever floats your boat. Two tank tops worn at the same time is cute! Or one really nice tank top - like this one... so pretty!



10. An everyday chino - Banana Republic and J.Crew have tons - is another one of my must-have's. Comfortable and flattering - what more could a girl want?

Happy shopping! Remember to mix up what you already own, and to only buy things you're comfortable in. Classic is always best, and quality items last a lifetime.

Also, a bonus #11: Sequins! Sequins are so pretty and a simple shirt with sequins, worn with your favourite pair of jeans makes a great party outfit!

Comments

Love it all! Yay spring! I too shop at Joe. And yesterday, I bought the most cutie patootie yellow flats from (shhhhh) Walmart! Hey, this girl is on a budget. They were $9 and so very sweet!
What Kate Wore said…
is is perfect for today's weather Miss Loulou, we're loving all of it!

Sending you a springtime hug!
tp
Oh, yum, wedge heels! I'm not a big shoe person (I can't believe I actually admitted that! Can I still be a member of the hot moms club without a big shoe collection?!), but wedge heels are a staple in my spring/summer shoes wardrobe!

I'm a year-round cute t-shirts girl -- the warm weather just gives me the chance to peel off the parka and sweaters and show them off to the world. :)

Oh, thanks for the reminder -- I need a new LBD!

xo
Leslie said…
I've already cleaned out the closet and begun spring/summer shopping - my favorite stores for Spring/Summer are Dynamite, Spring & Suzy Sheir! Great deals to be had, with lots of bold, bright colors! Happy shopping Loukia! I'm sure you'll see me in the mall soon enough ;)
I love shopping as well- but have t *try* to watch the money- my husband is on me if I don't! However, I have been having fun shopping for my upcoming Vegas trip! I agree on the accessories too- they make the outfit!
CalgaryDaddy said…
I wish my wife would so some spring closet cleaning...and shopping! After having Kyron, I think she deserves some new gear!

Shane
www.calgarydaddy.com
Lady Mama said…
I love this post! I need every single one of those items you mentioned... flat pumps are a must... definitely a Spring dress... and tank tops, absolutely. I'm going to come back and read this again later when I have more time to absorb all your advice! I think you'd make an excellent personal shopper too. :)
Ange said…
I love buying clothes at the Superstore - such great stuff on the cheap!
Okay..I think it's time for me to breakdown and by the TB flats!
Becca said…
Ok, now I KNOW we could be friends! I would give you a run for your money in the shopping department! There is nothing like a shopping buzz, right? And I've got the shopping itch... Bad. I'm with you on loving having the perfect bag and sunglasses. All I really need are a cute pair of converse low tops, a pair of flats and a pair if wedge heels in the shoe department. And for me, the best summer accessorie is a chunky, funky necklace to wear with a white tee OR a LBD! Happy shopping... We should hit NYC together at Blogher- I'd show you all the best places!!
Nikosmommy said…
I am all about a great bag/sunglasses, they MAKE the look! You can't go wrong with classic pieces. And I am in LURVE with my black Tory Burch Reva flats. God's gift to women everywhere!
Mom2Miles said…
White pants? When you have kids? Are you crazy?! Those wouldn't last an hour in my house! ;) But you do have a point about the sequined T-shirts. I got a supercute one at Ann Taylor Loft on sale. What is Joe? Is that a Canadian thing?
Loukia said…
Good point about the white pants - don't wear them around the kids, that is not a good thing! ;) And yes, Joe is a company that sells clothes at our really big grocery store - actually by the same guys who design for Club Monaco! :)
MommyLisa said…
My favorite combo of tank top colors... Aqua and Red.
I so need to clean out my closet. (I've been hanging on to some things that need to be donated!) Ok - I love that t-shirt....where did it come from??

You have inspired me to spring clean!
Tory Burch ballet flats....DROOL. I want some so badly. I cleaned my entire house out the week I was off and my closet is still stuffed. I need to go for round two since I really hate all my spring/summer clothes...thanks for the pep talk!
Jennifer said…
Thanks for the tips! I HATE shopping--I know, I know, something's wrong with me--so you've helped me know what I need to get quickly when I finally head out to the mall! ;)
This could totally be a magazine feature -- great tips!

However, about the white pants...I'm not so much concerned about the color as the fabric you recommend. Linen? Don't you get freaked out at the way they wrinkle? I hate how they wrinkle at the crotch. I think the wrinkles tend to look like a bunch of "look here" arrows pointing right at the crotch region. I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

Totally agree on flats! I need more of them!!!
Stephanie said…
OH I love that tank top!
Of course shopping is good for the economy..must keep spending:) (that's what I keep telling myself as I tear through the outlet stores here in Orlando)
Just popping by to say Hi as I'm still on Vacay.
Have a great week!
Love all the advice. Especially not hanging onto old clothes that haven't fit in years. Bottom line - after at that time, they're not in style anymore. I've written about that before. I held onto some silk pants from Ann Taylor for years. It's not that they didn't fit, I just never thought to wear them. But I kept them because they were such good quality and so soft. Finally one day, I tried one pair out with a new top and I was horrified. Pleated front - cuffed - high waisted...I looked like Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally. Lesson learned. I don't hold onto clothes unless I know I'll definitely wear them again.
Oh, I need to clean out, giveaway and go shopping!!
I love J Crew t-shirts!!
CaraBee said…
I just donated two bags of clothes last week, but there is definitely still some more that could go. I have a whole second closet full of "someday" clothes. Sigh. I either need to get my arse in gear or just get rid of them.

I'm LOVING the ruffley tops from Ann Taylor/Loft this year. They're so pretty and fun. Makes me excited for warm weather!
Great tips! I pick good items, but never know how to wear them for that "put together" look. Thanks!
Sheryl said…
Great post! What are your thoughts on jeggings...I see them in all the stores right now. So far, I can't bring myself to purchase a pair, even though they look so comfy!
anya said…
Great tips! But I have a feeling it would be very, very dangerous to go shopping with you!
You are making me sad. My sister cleaned out my closet last year, but we never spent any money on replacing anything.

So, no spring cleaning for me...I'm keeping it all!
Pres. Kathy said…
I absolutely love those shoes. I have always wanted a pair like that. You have given me the urge to go SHOP! :-) Have a great weekend!