Skip to main content

Happiness

Happiness is... so many things. It's all the little things that make up our days, the experiences that make up our memories, the things that make us smile, inside and out.

It's also the big things in life, like receiving good medical results, and it's all the things in between, like enjoying that well deserved vacation.

Happiness is...

Watching my children sleep.

Hearing their laughter.

Playing with my boys, lost in the moment.

The words spoken by my 2 year old. Words so often said the wrong way that make them that much more beautiful to hear. (Mickmack = meatsauce, I no no = I don't know.)

Affection and love between brothers.

Reading to my children.

Seeing my boys play with their daddy.

Conversations with my curious 4 year old, and watching him exploring and discovering, searching for fossils on his expedition.

Seeing my two year old steal the show wherever we go with his happy smile and proud walk.

Happiness is also the big things in life, like...

Feeling blessed to have a wonderful family, a grandmother who comes over almost daily to cook for us, to take care of my children, and to clean my house, out of the kindness of her heart.

Having a husband who stands by me no matter what I do, always supportive, always there for me.

Parents who cannot possibly love my children any more.

Hearing you are okay after a medical scare.

Seeing your child get better after a serious illness.

Feeling safe at home during a horrible storm.

Reading the news, when it's good, as rare as that is.

Happiness is also...

Getting off the plane!

Palm trees. The ocean.

The feel of hot sand on my feet.

Going back to my favourite shopping centre and inhaling.

A new purchase. A new purchase. A new purchase.

Beautiful resorts, amazing pools, tropical drinks and people watching in the lobby.

An oceanview balcony and the sound of waves crashing as I sleep at night.

Exploring a new country and taking countless numbers of pictures.

Eating a great dinner at my favourite restaurant with wine and desert.

A long drive, with amazing music.

A really good book.

A really awesome TV show.

Getting in bed after a long day.

Hearing my name being called, no matter the time, day or night: "Mama! Mommy!"

Running to my children, arms outstretched, and seeing my children running towards me.

Seeing a good friend after a long time and conversations that last all night long.

Happiness is all that and all the things that are left unspoken.

Comments

Burgh Baby said…
Happiness is this post. :-)
T Rex Mom said…
So many things to be happy about - you must smile all day long!

I also love hearing my toddler's tiny voice. It's surprisingly deep for a 2 year old. But I love his expressions and the associated mannerisms. And his "soft voice" is to die for!
Unknown said…
I'm about to go on vacation to the beach so I can totally relate to some of those last ones. ha! Well, most of these actually. so sweet...
KatBouska said…
I love this list! Sometimes it's nice to take the time and appreciate all the really great things we have. There's so much!!
This is beautiful, Loukia! So true! Having gratitude for all the wonderful things in life is so important. :-)
Nikosmommy said…
Great list, you hit the nail on the head Mama!
Mom2Miles said…
Aw, I love "mickmack"! It's sad when they get bigger and say things the "right" way, isn't it? This list made me smile.
Beautifully written! Thanks for sharing!
Pres. Kathy said…
I just love this post! You blog always brings me happiness!!
Anonymous said…
Nice Loukia! Always a good time to count our blessings and remember the finer things in life.
Anonymous said…
What is it about sleeping children and their angelic expressions? And laughter and the cutest things they say ("I no no") that pass all too quickly? Ah, yes, that and a good dose of shopping and this woman is content.
CaraBee said…
Beautifully said!

Happiness is:

When my daughter sees me come to retrieve her from the gym daycare and she screams out MOMMY! and runs into my arms.

Those couple of hours after my daughter goes to bed when it's just my husband and I.
Anonymous said…
a new purchase. a new purchase. a new purchase!!!
I agree with many of the thigns on your list!

This is such a cheerful post! :)
Lady Mama said…
My children, a good bottle of red wine, enjoying the work I do - and definitely a new purchase! Those are some of the things that make me happy. Great post. :)
Your such a happy blogger and your right, we do have so much to be happy about. This was a great post. Thank you for reminding us how happiness can come in the smallest little thing.
A new purchase...hmmmm....what are you up to?

And, I'm loving your "happiness" lists...those are some great ones.
Stephanie said…
aweeee..this was a beauty of a post. I so agree with all of those wonderful things that make you happy!
Sometimes it really is the little things!
Expat Barbie said…
beautiful post -

i think it's wonderful that you've taken the time to innumerate all of these things -- you are an inspiration to us all.
Great list to keep things in perspective. You always make motherhood sound so magical (which it is).
Francis A said…
Amazing!! Truly love how our lives and thoughts shift after we have kids. It is all about them and we would do anything for their happiness!! Great Post!! :)
I love this post! So thankful that I totally "get" this list!
Unknown said…
BEAUTIFUL, Loukia! Love it. Daddy's playing, YiaYias who give nothing but love... I could have written this.

And? I went to Bergdorfs today and thought of you!