Skip to main content

It's okay if...

Travelling with young children is not as hard as you may think. My children have flown to Florida numerous times, to Bahamas, and to Washington, D.C. We've also gone on quite a few 'road trips' as well. (Road trip can be even more challenging than flying, believe it or not!) I've posted before about staying sane when travelling with children, and some of the crazy things that have happened to me when on vacation. Here are some more tips for you, if you're about to travel with your little ones - tips to keep YOU and your children relaxed and happy!

When on vacation, it's okay if...

You totally enjoy the view.



You travel with your entourage. I always do. As in, I bring my husband, parents, sister, brother-in-law, and sometimes, my grandmother along. This is great for everyone! For the children, and for me, too. How else would I be able to sneak off to the poolside bar for a pina colada?

Your carry-on bag weighs a ton. (This means you have enough DVD's, toys, books and candy to entertain your children for the otherwise boring plane ride, and also, it's great exercise for the arms!)

Your children only shower once in 4 days. (They're spending the majority of the day in the pools and ocean anyway, right?)



You sleep in full make-up and lulu's because you know you'll be walking in the lobby with your baby at 4 a.m.

You eat plenty of carbs. (Calories, carbs and fat don't count, EVER, when on vacation!)

Your 4 year old sits in the baby's stroller - hey, as long as it keeps him quiet as you make your way through Saks, why would you have a problem with this?

Your baby eats sand as you try to take yet another picture of him playing on the beach.

You let your baby press many unneccessary buttons on the elevator as long as it's higher than the floor you're getting off on.

You let your baby walk around in nothing but a onesie on the airplane.

Your children eat more whipped cream than strawberries with their breakfast.

You drink a strawberry daiquiri as your baby naps under the palm trees.


You remind your son the importance of staying in school after he admires the jewellery in the Cartier window, so that he will be able to buy you that 10 carot ring someday!

You wash the baby bottles with the hotel shampoo.

You let your child steal extra soap from the cleaning cart.

You order an 8 dollar glass of warm milk to be brought up to the hotel room because you're too lazy to go down to get some for your child.

Chocolate is consumed day and night.

You totally enjoy every moment!





You pack way more shoes than you end up wearing. The stress of under-packing is not worth it!

Also okay? To buy a new suitcase at Target for all the new things you have bought on vacation!

Comments

Lindsey said…
I haven't vacationed enough since having my kids. This totally makes me want to go somewhere! Even with the kids ;)
T Rex Mom said…
Maybe I'll take my entourage and meet up with your entourage! We never go on vacation but you are giving me some motivation!
Stephanie said…
Oh yes...it is all worth it! (and I am also guilty of having to buy an extra bag to get home...sign of a good trip I think!)
After our last trip, I'm definitely encouraging an entourage. That definitely sounds like the way to go!
Nikosmommy said…
I always have to buy an extra bag for all the new things I buy while on holiday (doesn't everyone?! LOL)
I'm all about slipping in a daiquiri whenever possible...it might be 5:00 somewhere right?
Traveling with kids is always challenging...their routines sometimes go out the window. I try to go with the flow and have a good time, it's a vacation! (especially when we're in Greece every summer, my kids aren't in bed until 11:00pm and that's normal there during the summer!!!)
Maniacal Mom said…
Awesome post! Vacation is about fun, not rules. I lost count of the number of moms and dads yelling at kids in DisneyWorld! DisneyWorld!!!!!! It's the funnest place on earth...lighten up!!!
Carrie said…
note to self: bookmark this post so I can review it in September prior to going to Disnaeyland for our FIRST EVER family vacation with young children :)
Pres. Kathy said…
This is the perfect list! I am all about the entourage - especially yiayia!!
I'm laughing at the washing the baby bottles with hotel shampoo...I think I did that a few times! Traveling with the kiddos is an adventure, but totally worth it!
I agree 100%! In fact, I have um, done most of these myself on vacation!
Lady Mama said…
This is why I love vacation - all the normal rules go out the window. We're planning a trip with an "entourage" for next winter, and I shall definitely be eating and drinking everything in sight and enjoying every lazy minute of it! :)
Liz said…
Good tips! We're actually flying as a family of five for the first time on this week. EEEEK! It will be much better than driving though. :)

Liz
Loving This Mom Stuff
Great idea to travel as an entourage. I think I need to do that too! If you can't, bring an insulated cup to hold an extra large pina colada. It'll last longer. :)
Good for you Lou Lou you are like me - Have Kids Will Travel. I just posted on how we drag them everywhere for the fun and for the pictures even though they might not remember it. We will always cherish the memories of family travel and I am totallt with you on the boat drinks during naps!
BusyDad said…
Rules to live by! I mean, travel by. Dang. The point of a vacation is to enjoy yourself. Impromptu drinks and seawater baths are an integral part of that equation.
OMG, I was totally that girl who bought the extra suitcase at Target the last time we were in Florida.
Angryworkingmom said…
Love it! Great reminder as I embark on my first trip with two kids!!
Unknown said…
Thanks for all the tips since we are leaving for vacation in less than 3 weeks. Love that last picture - they are so cute in their swim trunks!
CaraBee said…
We're taking our first more than a long weekend/not visiting family trip in 6 weeks (holy crap!? I have to lose 40 lbs in 6 weeks! It could happen.), and I am more than a little nervous.I know I will WAY overpack, but better safe than sorry, right? I'm just hoping to keep my stress levels as low as possible. Thanks for the tips!
Looking at your vacation pics makes me want to take one! Sadly, it's just not gonna happen this summer. :-(

And also? I admire you for taking the boys on so many trips! You are clearly an expert on traveling with kids!
Scary Mommy said…
Ohhhhh, I really need a vacation. REALLY badly!! I think I'll just stare at your pictures for a bit. :)
Jessica said…
I cannot wait to take a vacation with my children... this is exactly how I would spend it. Care free and in VACA mode!

Live it up!

Love the pictures- felt like a mini vacation.