Skip to main content

A priceless day

$85.00 Museum of Nature membership renewal fee;

$40.99 spent at gift shop;

$29.00 for a lunch of sausages, hamburgers, chips and drinks;

$10.00 parking fee;

The experience of re-discovering this fabulous museum with my children?

PRICELESS!





Yes, we braved the heat, sun, and 45 minutes in a very long line up (don't worry, we spent the rest of the day swimming!) so we could see the newly renovated Mueum of Nature, aka 'the castle', that was six years and $216 million dollars in the making!

It was worth the wait. My boys loved it - really, what's not to love?

Christos was in his element, among all the rocks and crystals, at the Vale Earth Gallery, and he also loved the Fossil Gallery - seeing all the giant fossils and dinosaurs was really cool!





Dimitry especially loved the Water Gallery (you have to check out the real blue whale skeleton - it was massive!) but I think the highlight of his visit was the sausage he had for lunch!

I remember frequently visiting this museum as a child - with my parents, and of course, on school field trips. (My favourite section was the Mammal Gallery!) The entrance was always a highlight of my visits, too, and to see it all together again today was awesome.

One of things I love most about this city is the museums we are forturnate to have. I've blogged before about the fabulous Children's Museum we have in the Museum of Civilizations and that is one place I never tire of visiting with my boys, along with the Science and Technology Museum, The War Museum, and The Aviation Museum. Well, now we can add the Museum of Nature back on our list! (We did visit often during renovations, but it was nothing like this!)

If you haven't had a chance to visit the new Museums of Nature, I highly recommend it for the whole family - you will not be disappointed!

If you're not interested in getting a family membership, admission is only $25 for the family, or $10 for adults, and $6 for children over 3. You can enjoy the museum for free on Thursdays from 5 to 8, too, and the museum is also open on Mondays.









Comments

JackiYo said…
The museum is definitely on our must-see if we make it to Ottawa!
Chantal said…
I saw you there. Actually I recognized your sister Gina (btw tell her she is rocking that pregnancy, she looks awesome!). Then I recognized Dimitry and looked out for you. We were back a bit in the membership line so I figured we would catch up with you later. Never happened which is too bad. The museum sure was fabulous though wasn't it! I am writing a post about it for Kids in the Capital. Hopefully we can meet some time this summer! Take Care.
Pres. Kathy said…
Looks like you had an amzing time! I just love those family days! Have a great week!
Shana said…
looks like a wonderful time!
Anonymous said…
You are much braver than me! I think we'll wait for a visit until the fervor has died down. But boy am I excited.
Tyne said…
that sounds like a great museum! I bet y'all had a blast.
Scary Mommy said…
Sounds like a perfect day. You all are too damn cute!!
What a fun day. I've got to start looking for the free museums around here, too!
BeachMama said…
Looks like a great day! I can't wait to take the kids there, we wanted to wait for the initial reopening to settle down a bit.

A funny tidbit about that Museum, back when it was the Museum of Man in the '80s my Dad had the contract to paint all the windows(frames) outside. And I spent a good part of one summer painting all the ground floor window frames while the rest of the crew painted from a swinging chair. So, I do have a special spot in my heart for that museum.
Gorgeous museum! I wish we had more museums like that in my area. Glad to see you're taking advantage of all the cool stuff in your city!
Unknown said…
I LOVE big adventures like the museums. Your boys are pure joy.
I want to go! I might just have to drive out that way for a mini vacation!