Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Total Eclipse of the heart

Guess where I was last night? I was at the premiere of Eclipse.

(Insert teenage OMG! Squee! here.)

(Let's not mention the fact that I wore a sparkly top because... um... vampires glitter.)

Eclipse, for those of you who don't know, (all 2 of you) is the third installment in the Twilight Saga.

And so far, it was the BEST movie. I also happened to love reading Eclipse more than all the other books, too.

I was the girl who just over a year ago would make fun of everyone who liked Twilight. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of reading the books. I was a Twi-snob. Then one day, I accidentally found Twilight on television - and I could not stop watching. The next day, all four books were purchased, and I didn't stop reading until I finished them all. I lost a lot of sleep, as I was obsessed. And then I started to read them again. Yes, I fell in love with the Twilight Saga.

Twilight the movie was just okay, although certain scenes were perfect - like the first time Edward and Bella meet in the cafeteria, their first kiss, and the ending.

New Moon was a much better movie - more action, a better Director, and the beginning of the love triangle between Jacob/Bella/Edward. Most people watching New Moon were on Team Edward. But that's when the questioning began. And Team Jacob was born.

Eclipse totally makes you re-consider things. Or, rather - what 'team' you're on. I left the movie knowing how the Saga ends, but wishing, perhaps, it didn't end that way. I'm not fully satisfied with the overall ending. I'm not sure what I want! As perfect as the ending of Eclipse was, I'm still on the fence about who I really want Bella to be with - I know she is destined to be with Edward, it's just... her and Jacob make sense to me, too!

Jacob is in love with Bella. He is warm. He is friendly. He is funny. Edward, although his love for Bella is evident, is just... well... kind of gloomy. Ice cold. And a little too over-protective. And we should stop calling him Edward, because really, he's just a Dylan McKay number 2. (Don't you agree?) Wait. What am I saying? I was totally Team Edward a second ago! I can't be having a total eclipse of the heart too now, can I? I'm torn. I'm Team-I'm-not-sure. I think deep down I'm still Team Edward. But. Team Jacob... sigh. I don't know.
Eclipse was full of action and edge of your seat excitement. It was the perfect popcorn movie to enjoy with your girlfriends. Quoting part of the Eclipse review by EW.com: "... its feelings aren't fake, and the movie is compulsively watchable; it has a passionflower intensity. In case you haven't been keeping up, the plot — and the blood — have thickened a lot since the first Twilight film two years ago."

Indeed, there is a lot more action and a lot more fighting scenes in this film. The newborn vampires were fierce and hungry, and the fight scene with the newborn vampires versus the Cullen clan and the wolf pack was pretty action-packed. The new Victoria did a great job - and the Volturi were as scary as ever. Dakota Fanning was perfect.
I also liked the glimpse into how some of the Cullen's became vampires - a look back at when they were human was a nice touch, as was the talk between Rosalie (Edward's sister) and Bella.

Now, let's talk about our little love triangle again, shall we? Bella is one desired girl. How lucky, right? And yet... she is pretty miserable, despite the fact that these two guys are in love with her. Doesn't she realize how lucky she is? Come on! Put a smile on your face, girl!

I couldn't understand Bella's hesistation about marrying Edward at first. She wants to end her life to become a vampire so she can be with Edward for 1 billion years, and yet... she hesitates when the word marriage comes up because many marriages end in divorce. Sweetie. There is no such think as divorce once you're a vampire. This is your way of telling yourself you have some doubts! Namely, um, Jacob.
I loved the tent scene - when 'hot' Jacob had to get in the sleeping bag with Bella to keep her warm - his smug look was hilarious. The conversation between Edward and Jacob makes you realize how much they both love Bella. Then the kissing scenes... Bella and Edward... Bella and Jacob... what's a girl to do?

We all know these movies are not made to win an Oscar. And yet, they're huge blockbusters. And I can fully admit that I loved Eclipse. Totally. And you should go see it. If you liked reading the Twilight Saga. If not, well, go see something else. I don't mind.

Oh, and mark the date of November 18, 2011 in your calendar. Is it too early to start the Breaking Dawn countdown?
I'd also like to say THANK YOU to the awesome Leslie (@BPOrleans on Twitter!) for giving me two passes to the premiere of Eclipse! We all had such a great night!

18 comments:

Erica said...

ooooooooooooooooooooo dear lord I'm so freakin excited and i cannot stand it ....I have to get to the theatre asap

Sarah Oakley (spiche) said...

I agree, Eclipse was the best one so far! I am already counting down for Breaking Dawn. It will be hard enough waiting for Part 1, but then there will be Part 2 to wait for! Eeeks!!

@deharza on twitter said...

Actually, I was like you..I did not understand the hype and I was interested in Twilight before Christmas last year and decide to buy the first book. I have read all 4 books in a matter of one month..I recently saw the first movie..I love the books..I am sooo team Jacob ;)

DC Urban Dad said...

So I have only seen the first one ladies. Will I be out of the loop if I see this one before the 2nd?

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

I saw it last night and loved it....best Twilight movie so far!

Krista (@kristahouse) said...

Loved the review... You called it w/the reference to Dylan McKay!!! I cannot wait to see the movie. I'm going with my 10yo niece as my cover. Shhhh, don't tell anyone ;)

T Rex Mom said...

I agree - favorite of all the books. Really looking forward to the big fight with Victoria's gang. Glad you had a great time.

LZ said...

I'm going tomorrow, and can't wait. I'm finding myself making fun of the books and movies a bit more lately, but still secretly hooked!
Dylan MacKay - perfect. The ways he sulks around and looks away while speaking. Spot on!

Melany Gallant said...

sooo looking forward to this movie! and to Breaking Dawn. *spoiler alert...* i mean, how will they create a realistic human-vampire hybrid baby anyway? hmm...maybe the word "realistic" doesn't actually belong in a sentence with "human-vampire hybrid baby". btw - i'm conflicted too - i'm Team Edward then Team Jacob all the time. ;)

Jen said...

Great review! I used to be on Team Edward too, and the movie had me questioning things a little bit...especially Jessica (Anna Kendrick)'s valedictorian speech. And the tent scene was just amazing. My favorite scene from the entire saga.
And you're not the only one counting down until Breaking Dawn, don't worry!

Jenn@ The Crazies said...

Oh Girl, I am totally counting down to BD! I am off to see Eclipse and cant wait... I was a TWI~fan long before the book was a hit... so glad so many have found and enjoy them too!

AnnBac9 said...

I really enjoy the Twilight movies. I still have not read the books and don't plan to until I have seen all the movies.
My favourite part of Eclipse was when Jacob, Bella and Edward were in the tent and Jacob said he was hotter that Edward......that was so hilarious!!
Great review~

The Stiletto Mom said...

Mmmmm Hmmmmm....I remember laughing at you for not reading it. So glad you joined the cult! I'm going tomorrow night with my Mother In Law!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I couldn't actually read this because even though I plowed through all four books last year and know what happens I have this thing about spoilers.

Bad writing or no - I couldn't put those books down. And of course I have to see the movies too!

Ashley said...

That is awesome that you wore a glittery top to the movie! HA! I've read the first three books and can't wait to find out how all this ends! I too, am torn on which she should be with. Reading the books, I am Team Edwards, but the watching the movies, Team Jacob.

Life with Kaishon said...

: ) I haven't read or seen any of them yet. I know. I know. Pitiful!

Congratulations on your blog luxe nomination :) So exciting.

Lara said...

Funny, I thought new moon was better than Eclipse. But don't get me wrong - I really liked it. And I agree... the movies make you want to be team Jacob way more than the books do. I think it's because it's hard to portray Edward on screen the way we see him in our heads. Jacob is a bit more straightforward - ya know?

Too bad I didn't see you at the theatre!

Chantal said...

I went to see it last night and loved it too!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs