Monday, July 12, 2010

What not to do: the labour edition

Today I'm going to give you a lesson in what NOT to do when your sister is in labour, having seriously bad contractions.

When my sister was in labour two short weeks ago, she went to the hospital to check in. She was a few centimetres dilated, and was told to go to a nearby restaurant to eat and walk around for a couple of hours before returning to get admitted. With her hospital bracelet on and overnight bag in the car, she called to let us know she would be grabbing a bite to eat at a restaurant overlooking the water.

Of course, we all decided to go meet her and her husband for dinner, which was a great idea and something big Greek families do. We were having a great time.

Until I took out my camera.

Because doesn't every mom-to-be want her picture taken while she's having a painful contraction?

So being the good sister that I am, I took a picture of her.


(Ouch. The pain!)

(The beer is NOT my sister's!)

And then, her contraction passed.

I captured that on film, too.


"God that hurt!"
my sister said.

"G! Smile for the camera! Look at me! Say cheese!" I said in return.


I can't say I was surprised with her reaction here. I mean, I get it. Contractions hurt. So I totally do forgive her. Nobody had a camera shoved in my face the two times I was in labour.

I guess I was asking for too much?

Oh well. Let's just say my camera will stay in my purse until after her next baby is born!

You live, you learn, right?

23 comments:

Brittany at Mommy Words said...

Too funny I think I have had a camera in my face for all 3 babies and there are some really bad ones....but those pictures may be the only thing that keeps me from having 20 million babies because Ido not remember the pain being as bad as my husaband says it was and my labor stories tell! So funny sweets!

IASoupMama said...

Congrats to your sister! And we had a nurse take photos of me for both of my labors and deliveries. I can't remember much about either of them, so I'm glad to have the pics. My second one was pretty fast (3 hrs at the hospital and 9 minutes of pushing) and totally unmedicated, so I think it's really cool to look at those -- the nurse was snapping photos away, caught me mid contraction on the labor ball and everything.

DC Urban Dad said...

While my wife was being wheeled into the hospital operating room to have the Mini-Kamp cut from her, I asked her to stop and check out how the medical cap looked on my head. Needless to say I got the same response you got.

Krista house (@kristahouse) said...

Ha! I totally would have done the same thing!

skichik79 said...

hahaha ahhh im with your sister though you feel shitty enough as it is ... but she'll look at it later and laugh about it !! probably already does !

Pres. Kathy said...

You are too funny!

ModernMom said...

LOL Oh my goodness, you do love your sister! Oh and can I just say I can't believe she was able to eat! I was so nervous when I realized I was finally in labour the last thing I could have done would be to sit down and have a meal!

Chantal said...

Yup your lucky that camera didn't end up in the river :)

Suzanne said...

OMG, G, I LOVE YOU! My kind of girl! xo

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Your poor sister. But I can't blame a girl for trying to document such a big event!

The only birth-related picture that I detest is the one my mom took of me, all bleary-eyed and sweaty, moments after giving birth and holding my baby. The one she didn't even SHOW me and then sent to everyone she knew! I didn't even find out about it until my uncle made me a "Congratulations" card with that horrendous photo on the front. Tell your sis she's lucky she doesn't have something like THAT floating around. I am embarrassed and annoyed about it to this very day!

The Stiletto Mom said...

My husband took some LOVELY shots of me in labor with my firstborn. The second one, he had learned his lesson! Congrats to your sister!

Burgh Baby said...

That had to be totally worth annoying her. ;-)

sharon said...

If you take a picture of me at BlogHer while I'm in pain of any kind...I'm not sharing any ativan with you #thatisall

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

I LOVE that she's giving you the finger.

Tyne said...

Ha Ha! That is hilarious. I bet she will have some serious revenge on you one day- that's what sisters do, right?

CaraBee said...

I'm impressed that she was at a restaurant having lunch while having contractions! My husband was the only one in the room with me and he judiciously kept the camera tucked away until after our daughter was born.

Shell said...

I didn't want cameras any where near me while I was in labor! Or even right after I gave birth until I had a chance to fix my hair. LOL

Theta Mom said...

Congrats to your sister!! And you are too funny! ;)

Mom2Miles said...

Oh, funny!! Your sister's a good sport. Congrats to her & you, auntie!

designHER Momma said...

I'll totally admit it, I loved being in labor, for the most part. Although, I don't have too many pictures of me going through it.

Chelle said...

Hilarious!! I am not sure what I would have done if anyone was taking pics of me...but at least she has the photos to look back on--I love birth stories and labor stories!

Elaine A. said...

Sisters... I don't get it because I never had one but wow, she must love you A LOT if she let you take pics of her while she was laboring! HA! She's still cute even though! :)

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

hahaha!

I gotta say Lou, much as I like you, I believe her reaction was fully deserved ;-)

Blog Designed by: NW Designs