Thursday, September 9, 2010

Some difficulties

So, the post I wrote the other day about how ready my son was for his first day back at school? Things actually didn't go as smooth as I thought they would.

This year, since my son is in senior kindergarten, he starts school in the afternoon. I rushed home on my lunch break from work to take him to school.

At home, he was in tears. He didn't want to go to school. He didn't want to go because his tooth was loose and he was afraid he'd lose it. I promised him his tooth wouldn't come out while he was at school, but if it did, Mrs. P would take great care of it for him and put it in his back pack.

I took his hand, and we walked outside to take a picture by the tree like we did last year.

Last year's picture:


This year's picture:


Uh-oh. It wasn't a good scene.

At school, he was very clingy to me. I kissed him and told him it would be okay. I promised him that since it was his first day back at school, it wouldn't really be a 'normal' day.

"So that means there will be no learning today?"

"Exactly, my little man. No learning today. Just fun times."

That made him feel a little better, and he started walking towards his classroom. Then he turned around and looked at me, and OMG.


I died!

However, I did not cry. Last year, I was a sobbing mess. This year, I was strong. No tears. Even after all of HIS tears, I was strong.

When did I become a tough mom?

After school, my mom picked him up. He was happy and smiling, and day two of school went extremely well. Phew.

What is it with the first day of school anxety for parents and children? Well, at least another 'first day' is over and done with, right?


Now, where is my wine...

18 comments:

Pres. Kathy said...

It is so hard for kids and parents. Why would anyone want the summer to end?? Thank God everything is okay now. :-)

Avitable said...

Maybe he needs some wine, too, in the morning. Help calm the nerves. It's very European.

CaraBee said...

I think first days get easier as they get older. You don't see many high schoolers crying and clinging to mommy on the first day. So the good news is that you don't have many more of these heart-wrenching experiences ahead of you. The bad news is that then they're TEENAGERS. Ugh. Not looking forward to that at all.

skichik79 said...

omg Lou ! it must of been hard to see him like that ! But it's great that you kept your cool ! I think they are just affraid of the unknown ... it's like when we adults go to something but don't know what to expect ... kids are smart they sense that something new is coming but don't realise that most of the same kids will still be in his class ... fear of the unknown !

Erica said...

awwww poor guy!!!! and poor YOU !!! my daughter decided to have a preschool meltdown for days 2 and 3 instead of day 1 ...UGH!

ModernMom said...

Oh sweetie! Hugs to you:)

Elaine A. said...

I'm sorry but that pic of him on the ground is too funny! HA!

My younger son is the one that's having issues going to pre-school (you've seen my tweets). But he's three and really good at it... ;P

Alicia said...

Ohhh.....that picture of him breaks my heart!!! But good for you for being so strong!! Must be hard!!

Jennifer said...

Poor little guy! He sure did look cute, though! I'm sure there will be more smiles the rest of the year. :)

Lady Mama said...

Good for you for staying strong! And in the end he was fine at school. So tough though, I can't imagine how I'll handle kindergarten.

melissa said...

it's so awful. and as you know from my blog, it doesn't get easier.
i'm a wreck. my kids are a wreck.
i agree w/aviatable, perhaps we all need wine w/our breakfast!

Jenn@ The Crazies said...

Just wait Lou.... this year mine wouldnt even let me take pics!! they were running into the school!!!

Karen said...

My eight year old son cried just outside the school yard gate on the first day. I had hoped that this year he wouldn't be sad.......maybe next year.

This morning he went to mass at the church beside the school and cried the entire time. He kept saying he missed his mom. My daughter went to sit with him, she came home from lunch today and filled me in. The teachers thought she was concerned about her brother. If they only knew that she just wanted him to stop crying because she was embarrased. She told me it was time to lay of the "Mamma's boy stuff". I don't even know where she learned that since it is not a term we use.

becca said...

Oh my goodness! That picture of him on the ground with his backpack on is so sad and (sorry) so funny at the same time. I guess funny because you actually took a picture of him lying there! I'm so happy to hear his day ended up well. Those first days are so full of anxiety aren't they?? i didn't cry on Hannah's first day either. I was so worried about keeping it together for her!

Mommyfriend Lori said...

Oh my gosh, you are the first person I have read that wrote about this. We are going through the exact same thing and my son is in 3rd grade. Major anxiety this year, it's been really ugly and personally difficult. I hope things calm down and he falls into his groove very soon. Best of luck and thank you for sharing.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I think everything "new" is kind of hard. Even when you did the exact same thing last year - it's just that transitional time... Oliver ended up having a great first week of school - but that first morning dropping him off was tough. I say it was Chris' fault though. He went to work late so he could come see Oliver off on his first day and instead of just dropping him off and running (which is best for Oliver), he had to make a big deal of "Okay buddy - have a GREAT day - we're so proud of you - I'll see you when I get home from work tonight" - and then Oliver's wary, yet resigned face crumbled into water works. Nice work Dad. Once the parents are gone, the teachers pull it all together and everyone gets on with it. I was dreading school - but now I'm really happy to be back to structured days. Next week the twins start pre-school!

Tiffany said...

What is the difference between junior and senior kindergarten? I live in the States and just have kindergarten and in most states it is all day.

Jill said...

Ugh, that had to have made your heart hurt. Here's hoping the rest of the week went better! Hugs!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs