Skip to main content

Surviving the dreaded months ahead

It's no secret.

I love summer. I shouldn't really be living in Canada. Don't get me wrong; I think I live in the best country there is, and I love Canada with all my heart. From May until September.

From October to April, I complain an awful lot.

I hate winter. The snow, the ice, the minus 30 temperatures. The coats, the boots, the hats, the fact that it's dark at 4 p.m. Sure, skiing is fun. Skating, that's okay too. The only reason I partake in those winter activities is not for the rosy cheeks it gives me - I prefer the glow the sun leaves on my skin, to be honest—I do it so my children can get some fresh air, and for the beavertails and hot chocolate.

I get a serious case of SAD from about now until spring. I can't help it. I start worrying about winter in July. As I'm swimming in the pool, enjoying the hot sun on my body, I can't get rid of the depressing feeling that winter is just around the corner.

I know most of you do not share these feelings with me. You all embrace fall and the beautiful leaves. But really. Fall is just a tease, because although it's nice, it's the start of something horrible. The long, cold winter.

I get through the winter months by going to Florida. There is nothing like stepping off the plane and being greeted by the beautiful palm trees and blue ocean. One week a year is never enough, but I'll take what I can. I have decided that I should move to Florida. I just have to figure out when!

Another way I survive the winter months? With a lot of good TV! The only good thing about summer being over is that all my favourite TV shows are back.

Like GLEE!
And Grey's Anatomy!
And Desperate Housewives!
And Modern Family!


(Also, I'm in love with Entourage. Why, oh why, is there only one season left? And Ari? Poor Ari. And Vince? GET IT TOGETHER, VINCE!)

So, the season finale of Grey's was great. It had to be great, because Grey's is spectacular at their "HOLY SHIT! DID THAT JUST HAPPEN?" season finale moments. I thought last year's season finale was good. Incredible. Edge of your seat awesomeness. But I liked the year before even more. The last scene, with Izzy in the elevator? And George? AND GEORGE!!!! That episode freaked me out. I still have it recorded on my PVR.

The thing that bothered me about the most reason season finale of Grey's was the fact that not one single doctor had a cell phone. NO iphones or BB's? No Twitter? Can you imagine how much less damage and carnage there would have been if our friends at Seattle Grace had Twitter?

@LittleGrey Holy shit meet me on the 3rd floor by the elevators!
@Teddy I need you, like YESTERDAY, Derek has been shot in the heart!
@McDreamy I'm pregnant. I love you. Stay safe.
@Cristina I love you, I choose you. I CHOOSE YOU.
@McSteamy I'm covered in Reed's blood. Someone shot her! I'm in the supply closet!

Anyway. Maybe they'll all get iphones for Christmas or something. Surely they make enough money, right?

Tomorrow, Glee is back. I know I'm excited—are you? What else are you looking forward to seeing? What shows will keep you warm during the winter months of misery? What is your favourite snack to enjoy while watching your favourite TV show? And what new show should I add to my line-up this year, and why?

Comments

cfoxes33 said…
I am excited for Glee, Grey's, All the CSI's, and mostly, DWTS!
Avitable said…
I don't have any winter misery since I already live in Florida BWAHAHAHAHA!
noone said…
glee is an awesome show! and yeah too bad summer is gone in ottawa!

nice to meet you the other day at the bay gala! you look so purrity :D
I have NOT gotten into Glee yet. However I'm a serious Football, Project Runway, Real Housewives of "EVERYWHERE" addict. None of it is good!
Lady Mama said…
I totally get it! I'm always checking over my shoulder for winter too. Our summer in Calgary has totally SUCKED this year. Boo. I think you should write a post all about how you're going to make it through winter - all the things that get you through it. I'm thinking, sweaters, boots, hot chocolate, Christmas, etc...
CaraBee said…
I am just over the moon that the fall shows are all coming back. It has been a long summer entertainment drought. Can't wait to see Sue, Mr. Schuester and the gang!
Jill said…
I'll admit that I'm the exact opposite - though after living in HOT climates for the past 7 years with virtually NO winter at all... no need to even OWN a jacket ... I am secretly waiting for the winter season to appear.

I LOVE the cool air. I love the snow. I miss the dark days and seeing my breath outside.

Weird I know - but when you don't have it, you really miss it. :)
Unknown said…
I am with you on this one. I suffer from some serious SAD, I am trying to fight it with all my being this year with some much needed long sessions of excercise for some endorphin kicks so the SAD doesn't debilitate me.

I agree, tv helps, so do tanning salons, which I am sure will get me some hate mail. But it gives those of us true SAD suffers some much needed physical heat and a kick of vitamin d and UV rays. Which go hand in hand, but what's better a slight chance of getting burnt to not getting off your couch. So I am with you on the hate of winter, and we don't reach half the cold you get over there in Ottawa.
Oh, honey, I'm exactly like you. I often wonder why my parents chose Canada -- I too am so proud to be Canadian, but it's so cold!!!
I'm a tropical girl living in the tundra!

Yup, the only real consolation of Fall is the return of the shows. I'm totally watching Glee tonight. Totally. :) xo
Chantal said…
I am afraid I don't watch any of those shows, or any TV these days. I am just too tired at night and go to sleep way too early. But I HATE winter. I am already in my depression. Fall is beautiful but I still hate it. I love spring in all its muddy glory. I totally relate!
YOu are so much like me! I get all depressed thinking of winter in July too! Let's concentrate on good things, like cute boots too!
Lizz said…
Nope. I get it.

I have a love/hate relationship with fall. Because it's the onset of my SAD...always starts with having to wake up while it's still dark. But I love halloween and the cooler temps.

Let me give you a little tip. I've tried 4 diff anti-depressants over past winters to no avail. BUT it was discovered that I had a Vitamin D deficiency. So I started taking 5000 IU of D3 a day last winter and it really really really took the edge off the depression.

(@hereslizz)
I'm waiting for some fall weather. But, don't remind me of that in January!

And, seriously? No smart phones? I'm with you...crazy.
Mom2Miles said…
I'm the same: not a fan of the cold months. I LOVE Modern Family, Glee & Chuck, and like 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, and Cougartown. There are a lot of other shows I'd like to get into, but I just don't have the time. Gotta leave some time for blogging & Twitter!
Mrs. M said…
I love your imaginary Grey's tweets!! I also LOVE Glee and Modern Family - such fun shows. Glee almost always puts me in a good mood (although this weeks was more of a "serious" episode). Thanks for stopping by! :)