Skip to main content

30 Days of Truth: Day 2

When I saw the 30 Days of Truth writing prompts, I was excited to blog about them. It was surprisingly easy to write down the things I hated about myself for Day 1. But thinking about the things that I love about myself? That was a little harder. Hmm. That's not right, is it? Anyway...

Day 2: Something you love about yourself.

I love my body. I have always been comfortable in my body. Even when I was pregnant. I've never been a size 2, and I've never had the desire to be a size 2. I know my body and that is simply not attainable for me. I have curves. I love food. And I'm happy. However, after having children, I hated my body. I wanted my pre-pregnancy body back so badly. It was quite depressing, those first few months after my son was born, to realize that wasn't going to happen for a long time. My favourite t-shirts from abercrombie and fitch didn't fit me anymore, my jeans were too tight, nothing looked right. 5 years and two children later, I love my body more today than I did even before I became a mom. Even though my abs aren't as flat, even though my boobs aren't as boobilicious, I'm happy with everything. I wish more women were confident in their own skin. I hate hearing my friends complain about the things they hate about their body, because when I look at them, I see nothing but beauty. We are all flawed, but we should still love what we see. I do.

I love my persistence. When there is something I really want, I go for it, and I usually get it. I can be really persistent, and I think persistence pays off. During my last year of University, I wanted to land an intership in D.C. at a major news station. I applied at CNN, CBS, and NBC. I was accepted at all three stations, and had a hard time deciding where to go. (I ended up choosing CBS because it was the closest subway ride from where I was living in Bethesda.) If there is a job I want, I can be persistent to the point that I get it. (Maybe I'm a little annoying, too?) I've had Directors tell me that's a good trait, and I guess it is. I can be very focused on attaining the things I want in life. However, when I don't get my way, I have a hard time dealing with that disappointment.

I love myself as a mother. I always knew that I wanted to be a mother. When I was a teenager, I would babysit the entire neighbourhood, and I loved it. I loved reading to the children, preparing snacks for them, and getting them ready for bed. I have always loved kids, and having two of my own is my greatest accomplishment in life. I have a soft spot in my heart for all babies. I love how I mother—I'm over-protective, I worry too much, I give in too easily, but I love it. I just want to make my children happy. I love that I'm a mommy and I love hearing my name called out in the middle of the night. It gives me a great purpose in life.







I love that I just say it like it is. Yes, I can be a total blonde sometimes. A complete ditz. And I'm okay with that. I know I'm smart. I have two degrees, I've had some really amazing jobs, and I haven't burned my house down yet. So I'm doing something right. I sometimes say things that I maybe shouldn't have, but I never apologize. I can get really enthusiastic about a lot of things and I say OMG a lot, and I'm okay with that. I think it keeps me young!

I love my zest for life. The smallest things in life make me happy. A nice gesture, a sweet comment, my children's laughter, swinging at the park, travelling, people watching in airports, yummy food, good music, friends, and my family. I love making other people happy, I love shopping, I love swimming, and I love to read. Even though I'm a full-time working mom of two, I always find time for myself, and I think this is very important for everyone.

Coming up next... Day 3: Something you have to forgive yourself for. (Is it just me, or are these prompts getting harder as the days go by?)




Comments

Avitable said…
Those are all definitely some good things to love about yourself!
Suzanne said…
I wouldn't change a single thing about you!!! I love you so much exactly the way you are!!!! xoxo
Loukia said…
Ah, I knew there was a reason why you were my best friend in the whole wide world, S! Just kidding, babe, I LOVE YOU and can't wait to see you in a few weeks! xoxoxoxoxo
I love your list! My absolute favourite is how your zest for life. You embrace it with gusto, and OMG, it's contagious!
Thank you for sharing that, my friend. :)

xo
Lisa Thornbury said…
I love all those things about you too. You...are...awesome. :)
Unknown said…
I love that you love yourself and these are great reasons to do so! :)
Unknown said…
You are a beautiful person. I can see it in every post.
Jill said…
I think it's so important to be happy with the way you look - and comfortable in your own skin. Rock on for feeling it... I think nothing makes a girl more beautiful than someone who is happy with herself.
T Rex Mom said…
You are very at ease and comfortable with yourself. Sounds like you are at a really great place in your life. Definitely an example for others, too.

Thanks for sharing.
Unknown said…
I love that you are say what you want- I do the same and sometimes I can be brutally honest but I'm someone who puts it out there...which can also appear ditzy but go smart blondes!
Shell said…
A zest for life is so important!
Lady Mama said…
Great list! I share a lot of those qualities with you too. So funny that we wrote similar posts about our bodies on the same day too. It's a relief to hear someone else is also okay with not having a size 2 figure!
This was one of my favorite posts about you Loukia. It really shows your character and what makes you tick.
All very awesome qualities and things to love about yourself :)
Anonymous said…
oh, Lou. I love this. Just LOVE.
How wonderful to have such confidence!! :)
What an amazing post! Self-love is so important, what a great writing exercise. You put so much thought into this post and I love learning so much about you!
Sandra said…
I really enjoyed your honesty in this 30 Day Challenge. My hats off to you and everyone who has undertaken this challenge. I find it too challenging!
BTW you are stunning! My daughter is sitting beside me as I'm scrolling through your pics, and she said that you look like Hayden Pannetiere who we think is probably the prettiest girl on earth!
Faiqa said…
You're just an amazing person, and it is so good to see that you recognize and own that.
I love these posts thanks for being real!!