Skip to main content

30 Days of Truth: Day 5

I have been thinking long and hard about Day 5 of the 30 Days of Truth writing prompts. It's been the hardest one for me to write so far (wait—don't I say that every time?) which caused me some panic because if I don't know what I hope to do in my life, then clearly I'm lacking direction of some sort.

(Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4)

Day 5: Something you hope to do in your life.

I know what some of the things I want to do in my life are. I consider these things pretty attainable and I know if I really wanted these things to happen, I could make them happen. All it takes is drive and perseverance.

- Get a job in the media world again—in radio, print or television.
- Publish a parenting book and a children's book and keep on writing.
- Get enough stamps in my passport so I need extra pages—travel extensively.
- Buy a house in Miami. Wake up to the sound and smell of the ocean.
- See Formula 1 in Monaco.
- Quit smoking for more than one year —become a true non-smoker.
- Cry tears of joy at my children's weddings.
- Hold my grandchildren in my arms and kiss their soft baby skin.
- Become a billionaire. (Or a millionaire!)

Those are the little things I want to happen in my life, God willing. But those things don't seem like anything truly substantive, or 'life changing'. They are just things that I know will eventually happen, if I want them to happen badly enough and if I'm lucky.

I guess the main thing I hope to do in my life is to become an adult and grow up. Sure, I consider myself a great mom. I've been through so much with my children, especially with my oldest son, and it has definitely aged me and made me stronger, older. I'm not completely irresponsible. I'm also not completely independent either. I'm not talking about learning how to pay the bills or do all the cooking, because when I have to do those things, I can, I do, and I will.

What I mean is, I want to be able to start making decisions for myself. Without having to ask other people for direction or guidance. Without having to worry about what other people will think if I say the 'wrong' thing, or if I choose the 'other' option. I need to stand up for myself more. I need to go with my gut feelings and put myself first. I need to let go of the guilt. I need to worry less. I hope I'm able to be a stronger person, a person who is more sure of herself, and a person who isn't so afraid of stepping outside of her comfort zone.

Comments

I love your list of things you hope to do, we have a lot in common, I see! The waking up to the ocean? Writing a parenting or children's book? Travel? Children's weddings (omg I can't even imagine it yet!) and grandchildren!? And that whole, millionaire/billionaire/kajillionaire? That'd be nice. Heh.
Good goals, both the "far off" ones and the "in reach" one. You can do it!
Avitable said…
The first step is figuring out what you want to change. Next step is changing! Go you!
SJ said…
I think you are my long lost twin :) It's like reading my life and how freaky/scary/wonderful things can be. I have so enjoyed reading this - keep it up and don't stop :)
Can I just copy and paste your goals as my own?!??!
melissa said…
i want to publish books and write forever too. i hate when people say "if i can quit smoking, then you can too." so i'm not going to say it. but, you can do it!
xoxo
Lauren said…
Canadian passports make 1 of those goals as easy as pie - they're the thinnest of any country out there! Sew on the flag and get going!
Lady Mama said…
I love all those ambitions - they sound very exciting! And you can blog about them as you accomplish each one!
Anonymous said…
Travelling is definitely something that will help you with your last goat of stepping outside of your comfort zone and being more confident in your ability to make decisions for yourself. I am just finishing up a 6 month trip of touring south east Asia, Nepal and India (10 countries total!), and man am I coming home with a whole set of skills and knowledge I didn't think I could attain. Also, I have become much more comfortable with "roughing it"!
ps becoming a billonaire or millionaire is easily attainable?!?!
Unknown said…
It sounds like you are well on your way : ) I love that you are making goals and growing. I haven't done that in a while.
Stephanie said…
You have an amazing list of things here! I bet you accomplish them all..and more:)
I am right there with you. The confidence to be secure in your decisions not matter what. Not asking persmission, not being afraid. I totally get it. Best of luck mama!
Great lists of things and I think you focused on the one that is the most important and will help you stay strong and enjoy all that life has to offer and let you truly get to know yourself. You can do it. Your voice deserves to be heard and you can make decisions for yourself. Good luck!
Mom2Miles said…
I don't know, I think asking others for guidance and direction is a smart thing to do. Of course you want to make your own decisions, but it doesn't hurt to ask other people.

I've been challenging myself to do small things outside my comfort zone, like swimming in the ocean instead of staying on the beach last summer. You'd be surprised how much of a confidence boost it can give you.

And thanks for getting that annoying "Billionaire" song stuck in my head!! ;)