Skip to main content

Graduation Day

We've come a long, long way together...
Through the hard times and the good,
I have to celebrate you baby...
I have to praise you like I should.
Fatboy Slim

Two years ago, my oldest son started kindergarten. I was really worried. I had a million different fears, but mostly, I was scared of how he would adapt in school since it was his his first time in that environment. I worried if he would go the bathroom if he had to. If he would eat his snack. If his teacher would be nice. If he'd make friends. It was a lot of worry!

We went to meet his teacher a few days before school started, and it did not go well at all. However, as the days and weeks went by, he started loving school. Really loving school, and his teacher, and his classmates. He was thriving, and I was proud. The last day of school was emotional for other reasons, and marked the end of 12 amazing months.

"Say cheese!" I said to my little junior kindergarten graduate, and was given a huge smile and two thumbs up.

The first day of school this year started off a little sad.

But I was hopeful.

My little dude is a thinker, a learner, and a lover of books. He would rather watch The Discovery Channel than go see Cars 2, loves to collect coins and money and studies the Periodic Table of Elements on the ipad. It scares me how much he knows!

The best part of his kindergarten journey has been his incredible teacher, Mrs. P. She was exactly the teacher he needed. Patient, loving, kind, fair, understanding, and caring. Attentive to each child's needs. As her thank you gift, we are giving her an original painting made by my mom of a teacher and children outside the school. I wanted something to show her how much she meant to us.

Today, my five year old is graduating kindergarten. And now? I am filled with anxiety over the fact that he will be started Grade One in the fall.

A full day of school. With recess twice a day!

Will he eat all his lunch?
What if he gets thirsty?
What if he has a hard time getting his snow pants on and off?
Will he have fun with his friends?
What if he's tired?
Will he eat his snacks?

Sigh. Never ending worry!


Today, though, I'm just going to enjoy celebrating the last day of kindergarten with my son.


My little graduate!

Comments

Tonya (@tonya_vallati) said…
Great post! Last day of Kindergarten for my daughter today, too! The look on her face as she waved from the bus this morning all excited and happy...priceless. Today, I'm a proud mommy, sad mommy...mixed emotions that I'm sure will resurface September as she starts grade 1 - eep!
Aww he looks so sad in that picture! I am sure that grade 1 will bring all new joys and challenges. Enjoy it!
Unknown said…
Awww... Congrats! It sounds like he's a wonderful little student. And I'm sure he'll do just as well in Grade 1. No worries, Momma! (I know, easier said than done...)
I'm so glad that his year went well. My son is starting kindergarten this fall, and I have the same worries...only in BC they are starting full day kindergarten for everyone this year. So not only, do I have the regular worry about starting school, I'm also worried that a full day is too much for my little man. *sigh* Parenting is just one worry after another!
Bittersweet milestones... They always break my heart a little.
Make Mommy Chic said…
Hi Loukia, My son also graduated SK last week. He's so excited to get to Grade 1, meanwhile, i just don't want him to age another day. They just grow up so fast. The worries that you shared in this post were a fact of life for me as well. Thanks for much for the post.
I feel your pain! He is going to do awesome, just like he has this year!
anymommy said…
You are so right. It is never ending. And they never fail to surprise us with all they can handle. That picture broke my heart!