Skip to main content

My scary experience

Last year, I felt a lump in my right breast. Being the worrier that I am, I couldn't put it out of my mind, and kept feeling it over and over again to make sure I wasn't just imagining what I was feeling. It wouldn't go away though, and it was more pronounced when I was lying down. It was definitely something to worry about.

Even though I hate going to the doctor for fear of being diagnosed with some terrible disease, I braved it, and went to get the lump checked out. Right away, the doctor felt it, and she told me I probably shouldn't worry, but I was booked for a breast ultrasound and mammogram to be on the safe side.

The very next day, I went for my first mammogram and breast ultrasound. And it was a very scary experience, a very scary day that had me reflecting on a lot of things. My mom was with me, and I had to take at Ativan to calm down my fears. Everyone at the clinic was friendly, and kind, and I remember the room being full of women of all ages. We were all there for the same reason.

October is breast cancer awareness month. Over 23,000 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year alone. 23,000. That is a staggering number, isn't it? I know a lot of women who have battled this disease—some are now survivors, some are not, but they all fought the bravest battle of their life.

Thankfully new drugs are being approved and new treatments for breast cancer are being discovered to help cure those affected with the disease. We have the means to get mammograms every year, and we are aware of how important breast self exams are.

If you ever feel unsure about what you're feeling on your body, just go get it checked out. It's the most important thing you'll ever do for yourself—and for your family.

Comments

Barb said…
Wonderful and timely post! It is ESSENTIAL to get any lump or abnormality checked immediately by your doctor. My Mom didn't. She waited and waited. I was 5 years old. She had a mastectomy and was given 3 years to live. She made it 8. Who knows if she had gone to the doctor earlier what may have happened. I had my first mammo at age 27 and faithfully go every year. I am now the same age she was when she died. My mammo is scheduled for later this month.
Momo Fali said…
My mother-in-law found a lump on Friday. She got a mammogram and an ultrasound, then two days later, a biopsy. We're still waiting for those results. Two years ago, her mammogram was totally clear. Always be aware!
Oh gosh I so relate. I have benign lumps always-- they have a name-- fibroidanomas? Something like that. Anyway-- I can so easily remember that gripping fear the first time I dealt with this. And every time since. The technicians are always awesome so it does make the experience easier. It is a fear that is hard to get past Thank you for posting this!!
Unknown said…
What a scary experience indeed!! Early detection is so important- I've seen that multiple times in my family. Thanks for posting about something so important!!
Stephanie said…
I remember this post...so glad you are okay! Nothing like a health scare to give you a good old reality check :)

PS Thanks for the sweet comment on my post today!
DEFINITELY a wonderful reminder not to wait if you think that something is wrong. It can happen to anyone!
It runs in my family too and is VERY scary. I've been a big supporter of anything and everything to do with breast cancer awareness.
ALWAYS an important reminder!
Well said! It's so important to do those regular checks and make sure we catch anything as early as possible.
Shell said…
I have lumps that I get regularly checked. First time was so very scary.
Bruna said…
Loukia, I couldn't agree with you more. Once I hit 40, I went for my first one. It's time for me to go again this year. Not the most comfortable experience but better safe than sorry:)

I hope everything got cleared for you:)