Skip to main content

New York City on a whim...

Last Thursday, I was in a taxi at 4:30 a.m., on my way to the airport.

I was heading to New York City—one of my most favourite cities ever— for a Tommee Tippee event, for the day. Nothing can get me out of bed with a smile at 4:30 a.m., unless of course, it's to spend the day in NYC.

Also on the agenda: lunch with Marinka and Ali in Saks Fifth Avenue, on the 8th floor.

The shoe floor.

Seriously. It was an awesome day.

New York City with fabulous people, attending an event about a great baby company, and lunching with some of my favourite people on the shoe floor of Saks... sigh. All in a day's work.

My taxi driver was nice enough to have a coffee waiting for me in the car, however, being the paranoid person I am, I wasn't sure I should drink it. What if his intentions were to poison me, and months later an innocent jogger were to discover my body in some random forest? After some back-and-forth conversation, which is always so.much.fun at 4:30 a.m., I decided to drink the coffee. The first sip woke me up enough to remind me that I forgot my Ativan, and I never fly without Ativan when I'm flying without my children. So I stopped drinking the coffee, in order to remain in a sleep-like state, much like how it feels to be on Ativan.

The thing is, I hate flying.

No matter how often I get on a plane, I am never relaxed. At least when my children are with me, I'm too busy keeping them occupied I don't have time to think about the plane falling out of the sky. Because really, no matter how many times it's explained to me, it doesn't make sense that an incredibly heavy piece of metal can stay in the sky without falling, and on top of that, somehow land where it is supposed to land. And turbulence being "nothing to worry about" is something I don't really believe. When the plane "falls" a bit in the sky? It's scary. The only thing I do on the plane is eat, so I can have energy to tread water for hours until I'm rescued, should the plane fall into a body of water.

Despite my fear of flying, every flight I take is worth it, New York City being no exception. Being flown to New York City for a blogging related event was the coolest thing ever, and a great experience.

I loved:

Sitting beside Reeva on the flight from Toronto to New York City—she kept me calm, and talking to her for the hour made me forget I had no drugs to calm me down!

Being called Britney Spears by a crazy dude. Really, really loudly, downtown in New York City.

Seeing Jessica again.

Learning about a fabulous baby company and wishing I was pregnant for the third time.

Tearing up during the The Day You Were Born video demonstration.

Imagining I lived in the apartment in downtown NYC that the event took place in. It was the coolest apartment ever, and the decor was amazing.

Enjoying the balcony of this apartment on an unseasonably warm and sunny day.


Testing out sippy cups with Ali.


Meeting Marinka for lunch in Saks. Even though we were running late—forgive us, Marinka!

Saks Fifth Avenue fries.

Comparing hair trauma stories with Ali as Marinka looked at us as like we were crazy.

Getting hooked on Hanky Panky's. (Thanks, Ali!)

Discovering the world of American Girl dolls. (I'm lucky I only have boys. If I had a daughter I'd be in serious trouble!)

Taking a picture of Rockerfeller Center for my three year old, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York obsessed son.


Laughter, great conversations, and some retail therapy, all under $100.

It really was a surreal day that re-confirmed to me how much I love everything about blogging, my blogging community, and the incredible opportunties I get to be a part of.

Comments

OHmommy said…
Next time you need an assistant - call me. I know my way around the Saks shoe floor. ;)
Chantal said…
sweet day! Lucky you!
alimartell said…
Was soo sooo sooo fun. I feel like we need to do this every week :)
Marinka said…
Such a treat to see you ladies! When are you coming back?
It sounds wonderful! What a great opportunity!
Unknown said…
Such an amazing city! I cannot WAIT to go next month with my hubby! :D

Sounds like a great trip, glad you enjoyed it so much, friend.
Stephanie said…
Well that my friend sounds like a great, and exhausting way, to spend a day!
So awesome! Thanks for sharing. :)
Avitable said…
I need to have a few kids so I can get offered these free trips!
Bees With Honey said…
Wow! What I would do for a trip to NYC! It is on my bucket list. How cool for you to be sent there for a blogging conference thing. Sounds like you had a blast :)
Sounds like a great day! Shoes, friends, and learning about fun new products!