Skip to main content

Mad Obsession

True story. Once you start, you won't be able to stop. It took me a while to get into it, but man, once I started? Once I let it take me over? I instantly fell in love. I became addicted. I was obsessed. And now, it's all I think about. When I'm in the shower. When I'm in bed. When I'm walking down the street, feeling like I'm living in the wrong decade. I even apply my lipstick differently now. And I dyed my hair red .Okay, not yet, but I'm thinking about it...


I'm finally—finally—watching Mad Men. My husband told me I should start watching a long time ago, and I never got around to it. Then Ali told me I had to start watching, and one night, I did.


My mistake was watching the last three episodes of Season 5 first. But now, I'm in the middle of Season 1 and I'm hooked.  I think I'm even walking like Joan today. Minus the sexy outfits, I'm just wearing jeans. I have been staying up past 1 a.m. every night this week, catching up with a show I should have started watching a long time ago. Oh well, now is better than never, right?


With each episode, I fall more in love with the characters, and their dark, twisted, lives. I love how beautiful they are, I love the brilliant writing, and I love the clothes. And the smoking. And the drinking. And, and, and... it is brilliant, from start to finish. I'm in love...


What is it about Mad Men that keeps us coming back for more? (Besides the obvious...)


Don Draper is mysterious and brilliant. Pete Campbell is a dick, but one I want to know more about. Roger Sterling is the boss man, and totally awesome. Joan is my idol, and absolutely sexy. Peggy Olson is smarter than you think, and easy to like. Betty is so pretty, but so very flawed. They're all flawed, really. Full of issues and dark secrets, and that's why they're so lovable. I love the glimpse into the advertising world of the 1960's, and all the pop culture references that are made (Volkswagon, Coca-Cola, Lucky Strike, and more) and how it all came together, back in the day.


Mad Men is without a doubt the greatest eye candy of a show, and intellectually stimulating. It moves slowly, but you won't believe how fast an hour goes by when you're watching.

I love that it takes place in a time where I used to think life was "perfect"—when people didn't have to deal with drama and issues of unhappiness and depression. Truth is, life wasn't more simple; life was just as dark. The illusion of perfection, though, was everywhere you looked.

I can't wait for what's next. Seriously, I'm so excited to be watching... finally.

How deep is your love for Mad Men? And if you haven't experienced this love yet, please tell me, what are you waiting for?

Comments

Cinamongirl17 said…
Haven't seen the show, YET. Sounds like maybe I should!!
Chantal said…
I have started watching it and I am only at episode 3. I am not hooked yet but I hear I should get hooked around episode 5. I am slowly getting myself to that point.
Love Mad Men - but haven't seen the last season (we watch everything on Netflix, so we're always a year behind).
Anonymous said…
Just started it today and there goes hours of my life!!!
Avitable said…
Is this post from 2007? Glad to see you're finally catching up on good TV after all that crap you watch!
Marta said…
I love the show too and have been watching since it came out. I wish there were more Betty scenes in season 5 because I have always felt like she was the most relatable to me. But of course I love Joan! I once had a mad men themed party. It was great!
My love for Mad Men runs deep! Glad you (finally) jumped on the bandwagon.
alimartell said…
Haha. Re: Adam's comment.

Sos so so so happy you are watching. I knew you would love. Yes. So flawed. It's amazing, these writers. Able to create such depth in characters so you can both love and hate every single one at the same time.
Lindsay said…
Love!!! In fact I changed my google name after the season 5 finale and I got a glimpse of Roger's behind :D I'm a newbie, too. I hope we don't have to wait a year and a half for season 6!!

Lindsay
Kathryn said…
Why oh why can't I like it. I just started watching this Spring, my 4th attempt, and it did eventually start to feel less like an assignment but I don't know. I find it very much like a soap opera. Maybe it's the pacing or the predictability? I'm not sure.

It's just, for me, done.

I do love, love, love the sets and design though. It is pretty to watch.
well- just finished season 1, episode 1 and well - I may be up for days ... just me a pot of coffee and mad men.
SO ADDICTED to the world that my dad worked in and later my husband - not sure I want to say that too loud though :)

my husband told me too -- watch it watch it watch it
who knew?
Stephanie said…
I simply must give this show a try!