Skip to main content

The Movie I Have Yet To See

I like to think I know a lot when it comes to pop culture, because I love entertainment in pretty much every form, especially movies.

I saw E.T. in theatres when I was six years old, and I saw Bambi with my father when I was six, too. Let's not talk about how that movie, and the fact that Bambi tragically lost his mother, was the reason why I started having major anxiety issues.

Anyway, as much as I'm "in the know" when it comes to television shows, movies, and music, there are a few classics that I've somehow not seen yet.

A recent conversation with Ali had her going "Wait... what?" when I was surprised to find out that Mandy Patinkin was in The Princess Bride.

Me: "What! Mandy was in The Princess Bride?"
Ali: "Um... yes? How do you not know that?"
Me: "Probably because I've never seen The Princess Bride..."
Ali: "Wait... what?|

I've never seen The Princess Bride.

I've never seen Goonies.

I've never seen Spaceballs.

I know, I know.

I spent my childhood watching Annie seven billion times, followed by Troop Bevely Hills, and reading every single Baby-Sitters Club and Sweet Valley Twins and Sweet Valley High books I could get my hands on.

I have seen other important films like Can't Buy Me Love and Pretty In Pink and Say Anything and Desperately Seeking Susan and Top Gun and Breakfast Club (and everything John Hughes) and Ghostbusters and Adventures In Babysitting and Stand By Me, but... somehow, The Princess Bride fell off my radar of important movies to see when I was growing up.

I shocked a lot of people on Facebook today, too, when I admitted I've never seen this movie.

So, my mission this week? To finally see this...


I have a feeling I'm going to love it, because everyone keeps telling me I will! I'll let you know what I think of it once I finally watch it. Finally...

Comments

Momo Fali said…
Yep, you're going to love it!
alimartell said…
SEE IT OMG.

And The Goonies.

(also, whatever, you have never heard of What's Happening? so there's that too...)

Watch it, watch it, watch it!!! :)

I just introduced it to my little girl this past weekend! She LOVED it!
Love that movie! So quotable, too.
jodifur said…
Best movie ever made.
Marta said…
I saw it for the first time in August and I got the same "WHAT! YOU HAVEN"T SEEN IT!" Expressions from everyone. I feel like I missed the hype not having seen it as a child...
Avitable said…
It's like I don't even know you.
Loukia said…
You guys... I lined it!! So so much!