Skip to main content

Five Tips To Get Over A Bad Day

Right now, there are a lot of things that make me smile. After all, as long as my children are happy, I feel content. However, we all have bad days— those moments of doubt and insecurities and fear that can take over the mind and put you in a state of complete unhappiness.

I’m trying to enjoy every minute of this sunshine and warm weather. I love evening walks and basketball games with my boys after dinner, and love the fact that because I’m eating healthier, I’m feeling better, too. However, it doesn’t take much to turn a wonderful day into something… not so wonderful, despite the power of the sun and love from my children. It could be a sad news story I’ve read, a fight I’ve had with a friend or loved one, unpaid bills piling up, or worrying about what’s going to happen in the near (or far) future. And I do worry all the time, about everything. There are ways to stop the negative thoughts from forming into something larger, though, and these are the things I do to try to stay happy:

  1.  Perspective. This is a big one for me. I know I’m blessed and I’m extremely thankful for all that I have. I’m thankful to be living in a great city, thankful for the food on my plate, thankful for our health care system, and I’m thankful for my healthy children. The minor things that cause us irritation and sadness can be forgotten if we remember all the good we do have around us. If I start feeling down in the dumps about something, I try to remember this. It’s not that bad. And it will get better.
2.      Drive. I take the scenic route to work every day. My drive is beautiful, and gives me time to think, all by myself... of issues that are troubling me, of the things I have to check off my to-do list, and of the work that awaits me. Driving alone helps me clear my head and helps me prepare for the day. My drive into work gives me enough time to make sure I’m in the right state of mind to take on my day.

3.      Music. Music soothes the soul. I swear, there is no better (or cheaper) therapy then getting lost in your music and your favourite songs. There is a song to match my every mood, and depending on how I’m feeling, I know exactly what to play to help change my mood from sad to happy, or to hopeful, at least. Music can really soothe the soul. So listen to your favourite songs while driving or walking or running and you’ll see how quickly you start to feel better.

4.      Get out. What can cure a bad day in a heartbeat? A glass of wine and a night out with close friends. We are busy all the time, so planning a night out with friends you haven’t seen in a while can be a daunting task, but when you finally get together for some great conversations and laughs, you’ll feel uplifted and happy. After all, that’s what friends are for.

5.      Eat well and exercise. I know, I know, you’ve heard it all before, right? But it’s true. Keeping a regular exercise routine is important for your body and mind. Eat well, too—after a few weeks of choosing the salad over fries, you’ll notice a difference in not only in how you feel, but in your appearance, as well. And when it comes to working out, it is important to change things up sometimes, too, but if you’re satisfied with the workout routine you’ve got going on—stick with it. I love getting lost in my music when I’m at GoodLife Fitness, and not worrying about looking at the clock. It’s amazing how when I don’t think I can push myself any more, I end up doing a longer workout than I anticipated. Do things you love, and your body will thank you.

Try to stay positive about your situation and remember that it’s probably not as bad as you think. Remember all the times you’ve had issues that were resolved, and remember to put things in perspective.
 
Disclaimer: I am a Brand Ambassador for GoodLife Fitness. I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with GoodLife. All views and opinions are my own.

Comments