Skip to main content

Ontarians Encouraged To Use My CancerIQ To Reduce Cancer Risk

We have all been affected by cancer one way or another. We have felt the loss and pain of loved ones being diagnosed with this disease, we have friends and relatives who have lost their battle, and we've seen friends beat this disease. These people are now survivors we can all look up to. It seems there is someone else I know who is diagnosed with this terrible disease every month, but the good news is, every day, more and more people are becoming survivors, defying the odds, and every day, there is more research being done and we're this close to a cure. Go, science! I believe in our lifetime we'll see incredible advances for the prevention and treatment of cancer, and we'll also, hopefully, be witness to a cure.

A few weeks ago, Cancer Care Ontario added two new cancers to its online cancer risk assessment tool: kidney and melanoma. My CancerIQ is a confidential, online tool that allows Ontarians to determine their personal risk factors for melanoma, breast, cervical, colorectal, kidney, and lung cancer. Since its launch last year, more than 175,000 people have taken the assessment and learned about their cancer risk as well as how to lower it.



































With World Cancer Day 2016 just weeks behind us, it's great to have a free, easy-to-use tool like My CancerIQ to help those of us who have questions about our health and cancer risks. 

"With the addition of kidney cancer and melanoma to My CancerIQ, we aim to attract new Ontarians to the site and bring back those who have already received personalized assessments and action plans for cervical, breast, colorectal and lung cancers," says Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care. "We are committed to providing Ontarians with proactive ways to manage their health." 

The truth is, as many as half of all cancers in Ontario could be prevented by eliminating known risk factors. I did the My CancerIQ test online, and learned that I'm in a  lower than average risk for developing certain cancers, and about average for other types. It's interesting to see what we can do in our everyday life to help us reduce our risks. It's so simple, really: eat well, don't smoke, and stay active. I was a smoker for many, many years and even today it's a challenge for me to not smoke when I'm out with friends, or enjoying a glass of wine, but I'm determined to stop for good. 

My CancerIQ is a handy tool for everyone to use, and I think it's important to take a few minutes out of your day to check what your risks are, so you can start doing the things you need to do now, to avoid future health complications. 

For more information, follow Cancer Care Ontario on Twitter and Facebook, and join the conversation by using the hashtag #MyCancerIQ.


Disclaimer: I have received compensation for this post, and all views and opinions are my own. 

Comments